Waste Water treatment plant problem

In summary, this conversation is discussing the use of barium chloride in waste water treatment and manufacturing processes. A 20 mL solution of 0.200 M Na2SO4 is added to a 10.0 mL water sample containing an unknown concentration of BaCl2 that was concentrated by 100 fold. After filtration, 0.7800g of BaSO4(s) is obtained. The balanced chemical equation is provided and the concentration of Ba2+ from the sample at the waste water treatment plant is determined to be 3.34 x 10^-3 M. The conversation also includes a discussion about the 100x concentration and how it affects the calculation of the concentration of Ba2+.
ghostanime2001

Homework Statement

Barium chloride is a toxic compound used in waste water treatment and many manufacturing processes. A 20 mL solution of 0.200 M Na2SO4 is added to a 10.0 mL water sample containing an unknown concentration of BaCl2 that was concentrated by 100 fold after being taken from a waste water treatment plant. After filtration of the solution, 0.7800g of the insoluble BaSO4(s) is obtained. Provide a balanced chemical equation and determine the concentration of the Ba2+ from the sample taken at the waste water treatment plant.

The Attempt at a Solution

BaCl2(aq) + Na2SO4 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] BaSO4(s) + 2NaCl

Using dilution equation:
C1V1=C2V2
C1(0.01)=(0.2)(0.02)
C1=0.4M = [BaCl2]

After Barium chloride is concentrated to a 100 fold which means the solution decreased volume. So 0.4M x 100 = 40M

BUT, this solution isn't re-reacted with sodium sulfate therefore the 100x concentrated part doesn't matter in the problem.

nBaSO4 = 0.78g / 233.3896 g/mol = 0.00334 mol BaSO4

[BaSO4] = [Ba2+]

What I don't understand is why do I need to consider the 100x problem when i am given the mass of the precipitate and therefore just calculate how much barium ions I have ? The 0.78g is fixed because that's what the experimentalists got. If the concentration of barium chloride is changed to 40M and then used to calculate the amount of Barium sulfate what does 0.78 grams measured from filtration matter then?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Not 40M, recheck your thinking. Which solution has a higher concentration - initial, or concentrated one?

2. You are asked to calculate concentration in water sample BEFORE it was concentrated, that is, in a sample taken just from the waste water.

Trick is, in such water concentration of barium was rather low, and determination of low concentrations is often difficult, thus we start concentrating samples, to make determination easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I don't understand what you are saying here. Is it Na2SO4 ?

2. IF that's the case then I don't need to consider the 100x concentrated part. What do I do ?

[Ba2+] = 0.4M before it was concentrated

But wait the question asks to determine the concentration of Barium ions which means the only contributer of barium is barium chloride and the only way barium ion can be calculated is from Barium chloride. I know that the two solutions are mixed together to precipitate out Barium sulfate so its a dilution problem? Actually what I mean is 20 mL solution and 10 mL solution are coming together. So the total volume is 30 mL solution containing both compounds. therefore to calculate concentration of barium ions I need volume. I am given the mass and i determined the molar mass I just need volume and I think the only way I can get volume to calculate concentration is from 30 mL because the two solutions are mixed together and filtrated out to get Barium sulfate.

Does this kinda make sense. I know it sounds a little mixed up but please correct my way of thinking.

or is it 0.00334 mol BaSO4 x 1 mol BaCl2/1 mol BaSO4 x 1 mol Ba2+ \ 0.01 L = 0.334M Ba2+

Seems like you are completely confused. 10 mL sample is the one AFTER concentration. The original volume was 100 times larger.

You know that 10 mL contained 0.00334 mole Ba2+ - so the same 0.00334 mole of Ba2+ was present in the original volume (100 times 10 mL).

Is that the answer then ?

So the concentration of barium ions before the 100x concentration was 3.34 x 10^-6 ?

IF you say:
in the original volume (100 times 10 mL).
That means 100 x 10 mL = 1000 mL = 1 L

Before 100x concentration:
C1 = [Ba2+] = [tex]\frac{\mbox{3.34 x 10^{-3} mol}}{1 L}= 3.34 \mbox{ x } 10^{-3}M[/tex]

After 100x concentration:
C2 = [Ba2+] = [tex]\frac{\mbox{3.34 x 10^{-3} mol}}{0.01 L}= 0.334 M[/tex]

Is this correct ?

Last edited:
Looks OK.

OK? How would you have done it differently ??

Is the question asking before 100x or after 100x ?

What is a waste water treatment plant?

A waste water treatment plant is a facility that processes and treats contaminated water from various sources, such as households, businesses, and industries, to remove harmful substances and pollutants before it is released back into the environment.

Why is it important to treat waste water?

Treating waste water is important because it helps prevent pollution and protects human health and the environment. Waste water contains harmful substances and pollutants that can contaminate water sources, harm aquatic life, and pose a threat to human health if not properly treated.

What are the main components of a waste water treatment plant?

A waste water treatment plant typically consists of four main components: preliminary treatment, primary treatment, secondary treatment, and tertiary treatment. Preliminary treatment involves screening and grit removal to remove large debris and sediments. Primary treatment removes suspended solids and organic matter through settling and skimming. Secondary treatment uses biological processes to further remove pollutants. Tertiary treatment involves advanced filtration and disinfection to remove remaining contaminants.

What are the common problems faced by waste water treatment plants?

Some common problems faced by waste water treatment plants include aging infrastructure, inadequate funding, and increasing levels of pollutants in waste water. Other challenges may include power outages, equipment failures, and extreme weather events.

How can we improve waste water treatment processes?

Improving waste water treatment processes can be achieved through regular maintenance and upgrades of infrastructure, implementing advanced treatment technologies, and increasing public awareness about proper waste disposal and reducing the amount of pollutants that enter the treatment plant. It is also important to support and invest in research and development for more efficient and sustainable waste water treatment methods.