Water, salt, baking soda mixture to treat sinusitis

In summary, the purpose of salt and baking soda in the water mixture was to loosen mucus and clear nasal passages.
bluemoonKY
When I was 17, I had sinusitis. I went to an ear, nose, and throat doctor for treatment. The doctor prescribed for me that I mix salt and baking soda in a bowl of water. Then I was to use a plastic contraption like a squirt gun to squirt the water/salt/baking soda mixture up my nose and spit it out through my mouth. I can see how water could be squirted up the nose to loosen mucus in my nose to clear my nasal passages. What was the purpose of the salt and the baking soda in the water?

Biology news on Phys.org
Just a quick reminder not to use tap water in neti pots:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm
FDA said:
However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has concerns about the risk of infection tied to the improper use of neti pots and other nasal rinsing devices. The agency is informing consumers, manufacturers and health care professionals about safe practices for using all nasal rinsing devices, which include bulb syringes, squeeze bottles, and battery-operated pulsed water devices.

FDA said:
What types of water are safe to use in nasal rinsing devices?

• Distilled or sterile water, which you can buy in stores. The label will state “distilled” or “sterile.”
  • Boiled and cooled tap water—boiled for 3-5 minutes, then cooled until it is lukewarm. Previously boiled water can be stored in a clean, closed container for use within 24 hours.
  • Water passed through a filter with an absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller, which traps potentially infectious organisms. CDC has information on selecting these filters, which you can buy from some hardware and discount stores, or online.

Why is it safe to drink tap water but it's not safe to snort it through your nose and spit it out?

bluemoonKY said:
Why is it safe to drink tap water but it's not safe to snort it through your nose and spit it out?
Simple answer is that your body was not meant for such a function. Your sinuses and back nasal passages don't have the protection and can be easily infected.

Greg Bernhardt, that sounds plausible enough. It just didn't occur to me at first.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the water, salt, baking soda mixture used for?

The water, salt, baking soda mixture is used to treat sinusitis, which is an inflammation of the sinus passages.

2. How does the mixture help with sinusitis?

The mixture helps by flushing out mucus and reducing inflammation, making it easier for the sinuses to drain and relieving symptoms of sinusitis.

3. How do you make the water, salt, baking soda mixture?

To make the mixture, you will need 1 cup of warm water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix these ingredients together until the salt and baking soda are fully dissolved.

4. How do you use the mixture to treat sinusitis?

First, tilt your head back and use a dropper or neti pot to pour the mixture into one nostril. The mixture should come out of your other nostril. Repeat on the other side. You can also use a spray bottle to gently mist the mixture into each nostril.

5. Are there any side effects of using the water, salt, baking soda mixture for sinusitis?

The mixture is generally safe to use, but some people may experience a slight burning sensation or discomfort. If you experience any severe side effects, stop using the mixture and consult a doctor. Also, do not use this mixture if you have a cold, as it may cause further irritation.