Is DIY mist inhaler safe for clearing throat mucus?

• Thread starter SentinelAeon
  • Start date
SentinelAeon
I often have hard to clear mucus in my throat and its annoying since a lot of my work depends on my voice and i have to constantly cough to clear it else i lose my voice. Theres a lot of home remedies, drink more fluids, inhale steam, use saline solution. So the other day i was bent over my stove where i had boiling water with some salt in it and i was breathing it in. During this 10 minute process i had some time to think, mainly about how uncomfortable this was and how much easier it would be to have something portable with a tube so i could inhale while watching a movie.

I had 2 options - 1 was to make a small heater inside a container and breathe in the water vapor. Second was to make vapor/mist some other way. I remembered i still had my small mister from some other project - its basicaly a small piezo speaker that atomises the water.

I decided for option 2 and took a plastic bottle, put this mist maker element inside, poured some water and used a plastic tube to breathe in. To my surprise, it works so well that when i inhale it, wait 2 seconds and exhale, there is still visible "smoke/mist" coming out of my mouth as if i smoked a cigarette. The first few times it actualy stung my throat a little - and i am a cigarette smoker !

So i got a bit worried thinking about it because this is not normal water vapor - its actualy small water particles in the process of evaporating, clearly not all of it evaporates since when i exhale you can see "smoke/mist". I did a quick search online and such a device is indeed sold for people with lung problems so i guess it cant be that dangerous. But i would still like to hear your opinions on this first. As for why not just buy this device instead .. i tend to prefer DIY whenever i can. Unless i harm myself in the process of course so this is why i am here. As for materials, a clean plastic bottle, tap water, mist maker element and a plastic tube (otherwise used for electric cables, the only tube i had lying around sadly). And here is the link to a similar device i found online:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP2F25BY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Biology news on Phys.org
SentinelAeon said:
tap water
You are too close to the line of us giving medical advice, so this thread needs to be locked now. The correct option obviously is for you to visit your family physician to ask for their advice on your symptoms and get some recommended treatments from them. They will be able to help you understand what to avoid in terms of dangers, and what to look for in terms of treatments.

This thread is now locked, but I will ask the other Mentors if they would like to add more information to try to guide you in what to discuss with your doctor. Please be well (and be smart).

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/ritual-ablution.html

https://www.uclahealth.org/news/risks-and-rewards-of-nasal-rinses-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ans-deadly-brain-infection-report/2236681002/

Likes Bystander

1. What is a DIY mist inhaler and how does it work?

A DIY mist inhaler typically involves using a homemade device or method to create a fine spray or mist of liquid, which is then inhaled. This mist can be composed of various substances, often water or saline solution, and the goal is to moisturize the respiratory tract and help loosen mucus in the throat.

2. Is it safe to use a DIY mist inhaler for clearing throat mucus?

Using a DIY mist inhaler can have risks if not done properly. The safety depends on the sterility of the water or solutions used, the cleanliness of the device, and the user's specific health conditions. Non-sterile water or improper inhalation techniques can lead to infections or lung complications. It's generally safer to use commercially available inhalers or nebulizers that are designed for this purpose and meet health standards.

3. What are the risks associated with using a DIY mist inhaler?

The primary risks include inhalation of contaminants, which can lead to infections such as pneumonia, especially if the user has a compromised immune system. There's also a risk of exacerbating asthma or other respiratory conditions if the mist contains irritants. Improper use can lead to inadequate treatment of the condition or direct lung damage.

4. Can anyone use a DIY mist inhaler for throat mucus?

Not everyone should use a DIY mist inhaler. People with existing respiratory conditions, such as asthma or COPD, or those with compromised immune systems, should avoid using homemade devices without consulting a healthcare provider. Children and elderly individuals also require special consideration and supervision when using any form of inhalation therapy.

5. What are safer alternatives to a DIY mist inhaler for clearing throat mucus?

Safer alternatives include using a commercially available steam inhaler or nebulizer, which are designed to ensure the safety and efficacy of the treatment. Humidifiers can also help in adding moisture to the air, thus helping with mucus in the throat. Additionally, staying hydrated and using saline nasal sprays or gargles can be effective and safe methods for managing throat mucus.