1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waterloo Mechatronics vs. U of T Eng Sci

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    I want to pursue graduate studies in the U.S after undergrad. What are the pros and cons of each university. I know that there have been many discussions over this topic but none of them give me a clear idea of which one is better. I heard that Waterloo has top employers hiring graduates like Microsoft, Google, IBM, RIM, and other giants. But that is what I just heard.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    In Canada Waterloo is known as the best engineering school (it's pretty much ONLY known for hard sciences/engineering), however, EngSci is considered a really exclusive (and insanely difficult) program.

From my understanding EngSci students and engineers tend to compete for the same jobs and the lower GPA from EngSci may be a disadvantage.

This is what I've heard as a fellow engineering student in Canada.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning more towards Waterloo, which university do you go to?

Let's say I wanna go to MIT after undergrad and I get same gpa for both u of t eng sci and waterloo mechatronics, which would give me the better chance

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4
    McGill--transfer from Concordia.

Put simply, I doubt you can get the same GPA in both programs. If you achieve a high GPA in EngSci you would most likely be able to maintain a PERFECT GPA in Mechatronics.

In terms of admission to a high calibre school like MIT I doubt it would make much difference in terms of the school--both U of T and Waterloo are highly regarded. Keep in mind that EngSci is very non-specific--you learn a lot about many different subjects so if you know for a fact that mechatronics is what interests you then you should focus on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook