Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waterloo Mechatronics vs. U of T Eng Sci

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    I want to pursue graduate studies in the U.S after undergrad. What are the pros and cons of each university. I know that there have been many discussions over this topic but none of them give me a clear idea of which one is better. I heard that Waterloo has top employers hiring graduates like Microsoft, Google, IBM, RIM, and other giants. But that is what I just heard.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    In Canada Waterloo is known as the best engineering school (it's pretty much ONLY known for hard sciences/engineering), however, EngSci is considered a really exclusive (and insanely difficult) program.

From my understanding EngSci students and engineers tend to compete for the same jobs and the lower GPA from EngSci may be a disadvantage.

This is what I've heard as a fellow engineering student in Canada.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning more towards Waterloo, which university do you go to?

Let's say I wanna go to MIT after undergrad and I get same gpa for both u of t eng sci and waterloo mechatronics, which would give me the better chance

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4
    McGill--transfer from Concordia.

Put simply, I doubt you can get the same GPA in both programs. If you achieve a high GPA in EngSci you would most likely be able to maintain a PERFECT GPA in Mechatronics.

In terms of admission to a high calibre school like MIT I doubt it would make much difference in terms of the school--both U of T and Waterloo are highly regarded. Keep in mind that EngSci is very non-specific--you learn a lot about many different subjects so if you know for a fact that mechatronics is what interests you then you should focus on it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook