1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waterslide and Energy Conservation

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    O935WaF.png

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of energy, F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) By the conservation of energy, we use points A and C as the initial and final, ## \frac{1}{2} m v^2 - \frac{1}{2} m 2.5^2= (m)(g)(9.76) \Rightarrow v = 14.1 m/s ##

(b) Since ## W_{nc} = \Delta KE - \Delta PE, W = -\frac{1}{2} \cdot 80 \cdot 13.8^2 = --7952 J ##

(c) F = W / d = 146 N

(d)

I do not know what to do for part (D). Can somebody check if parts A-C are correct and give maybe a start at part D?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part a): I think you forgot about the rider/sled's initial kinetic energy. Recall that the rider/sled leaves point A after being pushed with a speed of 2.5 m/s.

Parts b) and c): Conceptually, they look correct to me, but you'll have to redo them since they rely on the answer from part a).

Part d): I think it's asking you to calculate the normal force.

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    I have fixed A-C. Is the answer to part D 771?

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose it depends on how many significant figures you are using to represent g. But if you are using 9.8 m/s2 for g, then yes, I think that's right.

(if you're using 9.81 m/s2 for g, there may be a very minor rounding error)

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, for part c), the water also provides a vertical force that counteracts gravity. So there's the horizontal force that you calculated above, and also this vertical force.

I'm not sure if your textbook wants you to consider that too, but technically it is a part of the total force that the water exerts on the sled. So you might want to find the magnitude of the vector sum and use that as the answer for part c).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted