1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave amplitude/energy relationship problem the square of one is one?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Wave amplitude/energy relationship problem...the square of one is one!?

Hi,

1. I am trying to understand the relationship of wave amplitude and wave energy, knowing that Energy is proportional to Amplitude squared. My problem is that the proportion seems to differ for the same wave based on the unit used to define it.

For example:

a) An ocean wave with an amplitude of 1 meter seems to have a proportional energy value of 1, or a 1:1 ratio.

b) The exact same wave measured in feet (approximately 3 feet) has an energy value of 9, a 1:3 ratio.

2. I am using the equation E [tex]\propto[/tex] A2

3. It seems to me that the only answer is that you can calculate the proportional difference between two or more waves using this formula.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: Wave amplitude/energy relationship problem...the square of one is one!?

There isn't really a problem here. Energy is equal to some constants times amplitude squared. Say E = kA^2. The k has units. Its value is different if you use different units. For example for some wave you might have k = 100 J/m^2. So if the wave is 1 m high, you get
    E = 100 J/m^2 * (1 m)^2 = 100 J.
    In feet, you would convert k = 100 J/m^2 = 100 J/(3 ft)^2 = 11 J/ft^2
    and E = 11 J/ft^2 * (3 ft)^2 = 100 J.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Re: Wave amplitude/energy relationship problem...the square of one is one!?

Thanks Delphi51! That was very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook