Wave funtion and normalisation constant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normalization constant (A) for a wave function and solving various integrals to determine its value. The first integral is successfully solved, resulting in A^2 * (9/2)L, while the second integral is left unsolved. The conversation also mentions using a trigonometric identity to potentially solve the second integral.
rayman123

Homework Statement

find the normalisation constant (A)

Homework Equations

wave functcion
[tex] \psi (x,t)= A[3sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})+2sin(\frac{2\pi x}{L}][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] A^2\int_{0}^{L}[\psi(x,t)]^2dx=1[/tex]
[tex] A^2\int_{0}^{L}[9sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{L})+12sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{2\pi x}{L})+4sin^2(\frac{2\pi x}{L})}]dx[/tex]

Homework Statement

i try to solve each integral separately
I have started with the first one and i got

[tex] A^2\int_{0}^{L}[9sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{L})]dx= A^2\cdot \frac{9L}{ \pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}sin^2tdt=A^2\cdot \frac{9L}{\pi}[\frac{1}{2}t+\frac{sin(2t)}{4}]\right]_{0}^{\pi}=A^2\cdot \frac{9}{2}L[/tex]
is it correct so far?

from the last integral i got
[tex]A^2\frac{L}{\2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}4sin^2(2t)dt=A^22L[/tex]

i don't have a good idea for solving the second intregral...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use the fact that, 2 sin A sin B = - cos (A + B) + cos (A - B) ..

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of a particle's behavior in quantum mechanics. It represents the probability amplitude of a particle at a certain position and time.

2. What is the importance of normalization in a wave function?

Normalization ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is equal to 1. This is necessary for the wave function to accurately represent the behavior of a particle.

3. How is the normalization constant calculated?

The normalization constant is calculated by taking the square root of the integral of the absolute square of the wave function over all possible states. It ensures that the total probability is equal to 1.

4. What does the wave function tell us about a particle's behavior?

The wave function provides information about the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time. It can also be used to calculate other properties of the particle, such as momentum and energy.

5. How does the wave function change over time?

The wave function evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum systems. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in the future.