Wave packet moving in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's problem of solving how a wave packet moves in a constant magnetic field using numerical calculation. The speaker initiated it as a Gauss wave packet but encountered difficulties in controlling its movement and shape. They sought help in understanding the factors that affect the moving radius and suggested using a bigger grid or tweeting the parameters of the wave packet to achieve the desired balance between localization and spreading.
victorphy
Hi, everyone!

I'm thinking of a problem how a wave packet moves in a constant magnetic field. I want to solve it by numerical calculation.First,I initiate it as a Gauss wave packet. What I understand is it will circle in the magnetic field as time goes by,and it will diffuse at the same time. Because some errors will be brought in calculations,that will distort the shape of wave packet as it moves near the edge, I want to make the radius of the moving small enough.But I failed. I thought when I increased the magnitude of magnetic field, the radius would be smaller just as the classical case.But it seemed not to work.So,I need your help and want to know if I understand it correctly ,and what the moving radius depends on.

I wish I have expressed myself clearly in English.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to tweet the parameters of the Gaussian wave packet to get the right balance between localisation and spreading.

Otherwise, use a bigger grid :smile:

1. What is a wave packet moving in a magnetic field?

A wave packet moving in a magnetic field refers to the behavior of a quantum particle, such as an electron, in the presence of a magnetic field. The particle's wave function evolves over time, resulting in a localized packet of energy that moves in a circular or helical path due to the magnetic field.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of a wave packet?

A magnetic field can cause the trajectory of a wave packet to change from a straight line to a curved path. The strength and orientation of the magnetic field determine the shape of the particle's trajectory, with stronger fields resulting in tighter curves.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of the wave packet and the magnetic field?

The frequency of a wave packet is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the frequency of the particle's motion also increases.

4. How does the shape of the wave packet change as it moves in a magnetic field?

The shape of a wave packet can change in a number of ways as it moves in a magnetic field. For example, the packet may become more elongated along the direction of motion or it may split into multiple smaller packets. The behavior of the wave packet depends on the specific properties of the magnetic field and the initial conditions of the particle.

5. What are the practical applications of studying wave packets in a magnetic field?

Understanding the behavior of wave packets in a magnetic field is crucial in many areas of physics and engineering. This knowledge is used in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), particle accelerators, and electronic devices like computer hard drives. It also plays a role in our understanding of fundamental quantum phenomena and the behavior of matter at the atomic level.