Simple electromagnetic wave including delay

a1titude
TL;DR Summary
$E(r,t)$ and $H(r,t)$ around $I*\sin(2*pi*f*t)$
I want to derive the electric and magnetic field at a point around an infinitely long wire which carries a sinusoidal alternating current. And I want the answer includes the phase delay according to the limited speed of propagation of the wave. Surely the answer must satisfy the Maxwell's equations. I have never seen such answers from anywhere yet. Please, someone derive them for me or recommend me some references.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the sections 8.2-8.3 on retarded potentials in Stratton, Electromagnetic Theory.

Likes vanhees71
a1titude said:
And I want the answer includes the phase delay according to the limited speed of propagation of the wave.
That is a type of travelling wave antenna, but with an infinite length wire.

The velocity of the sinusoid propagating along the wire is critical in determining the field pattern.
For sub-luminal conductor propagation, (with insulation or oxide), most of the energy is launched in the direction the sinusoid is propagating along the conductor, the conductor forward of there, can often be discounted.

The problem was solved over 100 years ago. You have obviously been reading the wrong books and papers.

This paper, by Beverage, Rice and Kellogg, is well worth reading at breakfast.
https://www.crosscountrywireless.net/The Wave Antenna.pdf

Likes berkeman and vanhees71

1. What is a simple electromagnetic wave including delay?

A simple electromagnetic wave including delay refers to the propagation of electromagnetic waves through a medium with a certain amount of time delay before reaching the destination. This delay can be caused by factors such as distance, obstacles, or the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

2. How does delay affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

Delay can affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves by causing phase shifts, signal distortion, and interference effects. In some cases, delay can also lead to signal degradation or loss of information if the delay is too significant.

3. What are some real-world applications of simple electromagnetic waves with delay?

Some real-world applications of simple electromagnetic waves with delay include communication systems, radar systems, satellite communications, and wireless networks. In these applications, delay is often managed and accounted for to ensure reliable and efficient transmission of signals.

4. How is delay measured in electromagnetic waves?

Delay in electromagnetic waves can be measured in terms of time, distance, or phase shift. Time delay is typically measured in seconds or milliseconds, while distance delay is measured in meters or kilometers. Phase shift delay is measured in degrees or radians.

5. What are some factors that can cause delay in electromagnetic waves?

Factors that can cause delay in electromagnetic waves include the speed of light in the medium, the distance traveled by the wave, the presence of obstacles or reflectors, and the properties of the medium such as refractive index or conductivity. These factors can all contribute to the overall delay experienced by the wave.