1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave race: Help me start off the earthquakes

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The velocity of the transverse waves produced by an earthquake is 8.9km/s while that of the longitudinal waves is 5.1km/s. A seismograph records the arrival of the transverse waves 73s before that of the longitudinal waves. How far away was the earthquakes?

2. Relevant equations
    [​IMG]
    displacement= (Initial Velocity)(Time) + (0.5)(a)(time squared)????

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given Answer: 8.7x10^2 km=870km=870,000m
    I wish I showed you guys the 12/13 problems out of this worksheet that I did to show that I did try and am not trying to mooch..

I scoured the internet and found some similar links..
    http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/p163/ec/u10ec.html
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88686
    http://www.hopperinstitute.com/phys_waves.html

My last link basically showed.. they multiplied the fastest velocity by 98s.. How did they get 98s..I don't know..

Can anyone get me started on this?
    ==
    I've tried..
    3.8km (difference in velocity displacement)=73s*x
    x=52m/2 .. Then try and use displacement formula.. But I have no acceleration value, so meh..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The waves move at constant speed--no need for accelerated motion, just distance = speed*time.

Try this: Call the distance D; call the time for the transverse wave to arrive T. Now apply the above speed equation for each wave and solve for D.

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    Sorry.. it's not clicking.. How do I find the time for the transverse wave to arrive?

5. Mar 13, 2007 #4

Doc Al

You don't need the time, just call it T. Write two equations: one for the transverse wave; one for the longitudinal. You'll be able to eliminate T and solve for D.

Hint: If the time for the transverse wave is T, what's the time for the longitudinal wave?

6. Mar 13, 2007 #5
    T + 72s? :-)
    ===
    PS, distance = speed*time is (at least in this case) the same as displacement=velocity*time ?
    We haven't done much of speed at all.. So I'm more comfortable with delta d:D
    ===
    I've done 5.1 (km/s) + T=delta d=8.9 (km/s) + T + 72s
    =5.1 (km/s)=delta d=8.9 (km/s) + 72s..

That can give me 3.8 km/s=72s..

7. Mar 13, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Of course. :smile:
    Same thing.

8. Mar 13, 2007 #7
    kk
    So how do I resolve 3.8 km/s = 72s = delta d?

9. Mar 13, 2007 #8
    I think I did my math wrong.. Ignore post#5..
    Hey I think I got it! But this problem is so convoluted I'm going to forget it all meh rawr. PS, wanna check my method? (I know the answer)
    ==
    D=(8.9km*T)/s = [(5.1km)(T+72s)]/s
    They both have same denominator so that cancels..
    8.9km*T=5.1km*T + 367.2km*s
    3.8km*T=367.2km*s
    Isolate T..
    T=(367.2km*s)/(3.8km)=~96.6s
    That means it takes the transverse (faster), 96.6s to get there, and ~170s for the other..
    I can use each's respective time and velocity to find distance.. Thanks Doc Al! I think I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?