Wave Speed Homework: Find Frequency, Wavelength & Depth

In summary, the conversation involves determining the wavelength and speed of ripples on a river based on the distance and frequency of two fishing floats bobbing up and down in antiphase. Using the fact that there is always at least one wave crest between the floats, it can be shown that the wavelength is 3.0 metres. The speed of the ripples can then be calculated using the equation v=frequency*wavelength. Near the bank, the depth of the river halves, resulting in a change in the speed of the waves. However, the frequency remains the same, and the new wavelength can be determined by halving the original wavelength. Using the equation v=√gd, the depth of the river near the bank can also
Jason17

Homework Statement

Two fishing floats, a distance of 4.5 metres apart, bob up and down at 20 times per minute.
The floats always move in antiphase. There is always at least one wave crest between the floats but never more than two.

a) Show that the wavelength of the ripples on the river is 3.0 metres. Hence find the speed of the ripples on the surface

b) Near the bank, the depth of the river halves. The speed (v) of the water waves in shallow water of death (d) is given by v= √gd where (g) is 9.8 ms^-2
i) What is the new frequency and wavelength of the waves near the bank?
ii) What is the depth of the river near the bank?

Homework Equations

Velocity= frequency x wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for 45 mins straight to try and get to the answers.
For part a) i have absolutely no clue on how to show it is 3metres. I noted down that frequency is 20 ?

For part b) the equation i think is:
frequency = √gd / wavelength

3.13 x d
But that comes out with the wrong answer

Quite frustrated. That's all the information they've given me. I have the answers also but i don't know how to get there :s

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Jason17 said:

Homework Statement

Two fishing floats, a distance of 4.5 metres apart, bob up and down at 20 times per minute.
The floats always move in antiphase. There is always at least one wave crest between the floats but never more than two.

a) Show that the wavelength of the ripples on the river is 3.0 metres. Hence find the speed of the ripples on the surface

Just imagine the situation. When one boat is at its lowest point, the other is at its highest, and there's one or two peaks in between them. Draw this out. What fraction of a wavelength is the distance between the boats?

b) Near the bank, the depth of the river halves. The speed (v) of the water waves in shallow water of death (d) is given by v= √gd where (g) is 9.8 ms^-2
i) What is the new frequency and wavelength of the waves near the bank?
ii) What is the depth of the river near the bank?

Frequency doesn't change; whatever vibration started the waves is still vibrating at the same frequency. v=frequency*wavelength, so if v halves, what happens to wavelength?

Related to Wave Speed Homework: Find Frequency, Wavelength & Depth

1. What is the formula for calculating wave speed?

The formula for wave speed is v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

2. How do you find the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the wave speed (v) by the wavelength (λ). In other words, f = v/λ.

3. How do you find the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave can be found by dividing the wave speed (v) by the frequency (f). In other words, λ = v/f.

4. Why is it important to find the depth when calculating wave speed?

The depth of the water affects the wave speed because it changes the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. In deeper water, the wave will have a higher speed compared to shallower water.

5. Can wave speed be affected by factors other than depth?

Yes, wave speed can also be affected by factors such as temperature, salinity, and wind speed. These factors can change the properties of the medium and therefore impact the speed of the wave.