Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waveequation for relativistic particle

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    How do I find the wave equation for a relativistic particle from E and p in terms of their operator-equations, [tex]E \leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex] i \hbar[/tex] [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]p \leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]- i \hbar[/tex] [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] ?

I'm assuming I'll have to use: [tex]E^{2}=p^{2}c^{2}+\left(m_{0}c^{2}\right)^{2}[/tex]
    and substitude the operator-equations into that, but where to go from there? i'm lost.

Thanks heaps
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2
    What happens when you do that substitution? Because that's all that there is to it...
  4. Apr 27, 2008 #3
    haha, yes i realized that, I was trying to get the wave function instead of the wave equation, and thats why it was a bit hard to do like that in my head.

Thanks though :)
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

This is basically what you're trying to get at, right? Note that this isn't the relativistic wave equation used in QFT - that's the dirac equation - since this equation doesn't incorporate spin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?