Wavefunctions and boundaries of a 1D-potential well

In summary: KE->-infinty at boundaries so first derivative->infinity also. this is cause it seems to be infinite potential and so not physically realistic.thats mainly the reason behind choosing the wavefunction = 0 in both regions 1 and 4..
indie452
the attachment here shows a potential well and i am practicing writing down wave functions in each region and boundary conditions (for this problem I suppose the boundaries would be x= -a, 0, b.

i think that for this problem i need 4 functions and i thought that they may be:

when
x<-a (1) = 0
-a<x<0 (2) = Asin(k1x) + Bcos(k1x)
0<x<b (3) = Csin(k2x) + Dcos(k2x)
b>x (4) = 0

where
k1 = ([tex]\sqrt{}2mE[/tex])/[tex]\hbar[/tex]
k2 = ([tex]\sqrt{}2m(E-Vo))/\hbar[/tex]

and i think at the boundary x = -a and b the wave function is continuous and at x=0 the wave function and the first derivative is continuous.

Is this right?
thanks

Attachments

• qu7.jpg
    qu7.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
|.........|
|.........| Vo < E
|.........|
|......__________|
|......|
|......|
|......|
|......|
-a......0....b

V(x)=
infinity --- x<-a --- region 1
0 --- -a<x<0 --- region 2
Vo --- 0<x<b --- region 3
infinity --- b<x --- region 4

if you can't see the pic

first thing:

maybe you want to think again about what you stated here when you said "b>x (4) = 0", i believe you have done simple mistake since you wrote the first three equations correctly, it actually should be "x>b (4) = 0"

second thing:

dont you think that you should make your wavefunction continuous by appliying the fact that the wavefunction and its derivative (1st) in region(1) = the wavefunction and its derivative (1st) in region(2) and that when x = -a , and the same goes with region(2) and (3) when x = 0 , also region(3) and (4) when x = b ..

hmm, well .. I think so .. what do you think?

for the first thing your right i did write it down wrong t=it was meant to be b<x.

but with the the reason i wrote that the first derivative of the wavefunction is not continuous at the boundary x=-a, and b was cause i thought that when on the otherside of a boundary the potential->infinity, so KE->-infinty at boundaries so first derivative->infinity also. this is cause it seems to be infinite potential and so not physically realistic.

for the first thing your right i did write it down wrong t=it was meant to be b<x.

but with the the reason i wrote that the first derivative of the wavefunction is not continuous at the boundary x=-a, and b was cause i thought that when on the otherside of a boundary the potential->infinity, so KE->-infinty at boundaries so first derivative->infinity also. this is cause it seems to be infinite potential and so not physically realistic.

thats mainly the reason behind choosing the wavefunction = 0 in both regions 1 and 4..

lets first consider the situation when we say that the wavefunction and its derivative should be continuos in region (1) and (2) when x = -a ..

you have in region (2) that the wavefunction = A sin(k1x) + B cos(k1x) .. so when x = -a

in region(2) the wavefunction = - A sin(k1a) + B cos(k1a) & you know that the wavefunction in region(1) at x = -a is zero >>> then 0 = -A sin(k1a) + B cos(k1a)
im not allowed to proceed more than this, but i think you got the point (I hope!) .. continue with the derivatives .. and don't forget the other regions ..

good luck..

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a certain location and with a certain energy.

2. What is a 1D-potential well?

A 1D-potential well is a hypothetical system used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. It consists of a region where the potential energy is zero, surrounded by regions where the potential energy is infinite.

3. How are wavefunctions and potential wells related?

Wavefunctions are solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of particles in a potential well. The shape of the potential well determines the possible energy levels and allowed wavefunctions for the particle.

4. What are the boundaries of a 1D-potential well?

The boundaries of a 1D-potential well refer to the points where the potential energy changes from zero to infinite. These boundaries define the region where the particle is confined and can affect the behavior of the particle's wavefunction.

5. How do the boundaries of a 1D-potential well affect the particle's behavior?

The boundaries of a 1D-potential well can affect the energy levels and allowed wavefunctions of the particle. For example, if the well is wide, there may be more allowed energy levels and a higher probability of finding the particle in certain regions. If the well is narrow, there may be fewer allowed energy levels and a higher probability of finding the particle near the boundaries.