1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wavefunctions and boundaries of a 1D-potential well

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    the attachment here shows a potential well and i am practicing writing down wave functions in each region and boundary conditions (for this problem I suppose the boundaries would be x= -a, 0, b.

i think that for this problem i need 4 functions and i thought that they may be:

when
    x<-a (1) = 0
    -a<x<0 (2) = Asin(k1x) + Bcos(k1x)
    0<x<b (3) = Csin(k2x) + Dcos(k2x)
    b>x (4) = 0

where
    k1 = ([tex]\sqrt{}2mE[/tex])/[tex]\hbar[/tex]
    k2 = ([tex]\sqrt{}2m(E-Vo))/\hbar[/tex]

and i think at the boundary x = -a and b the wave function is continuous and at x=0 the wave function and the first derivative is continuous.

Is this right?
    thanks

Attached Files:

• qu7.jpg
      qu7.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    |......................................|
    |......................................| Vo < E
    |......................................|
    |....................__________|
    |....................|
    |....................|
    |....................|
    |....................|
    -a...................0.................b

V(x)=
    infinity --- x<-a --- region 1
    0 --- -a<x<0 --- region 2
    Vo --- 0<x<b --- region 3
    infinity --- b<x --- region 4

if you cant see the pic

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    first thing:

maybe you want to think again about what you stated here when you said "b>x (4) = 0", i believe you have done simple mistake since you wrote the first three equations correctly, it actually should be "x>b (4) = 0"

second thing:

dont you think that you should make your wavefunction continuous by appliying the fact that the wavefunction and its derivative (1st) in region(1) = the wavefunction and its derivative (1st) in region(2) and that when x = -a , and the same goes with region(2) and (3) when x = 0 , also region(3) and (4) when x = b ..

hmm, well .. I think so .. what do you think?

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4
    for the first thing your right i did write it down wrong t=it was meant to be b<x.

but with the the reason i wrote that the first derivative of the wavefunction is not continuous at the boundary x=-a, and b was cause i thought that when on the otherside of a boundary the potential->infinity, so KE->-infinty at boundaries so first derivative->infinity also. this is cause it seems to be infinite potential and so not physically realistic.

6. Apr 13, 2010 #5
    for the first thing your right i did write it down wrong t=it was meant to be b<x.

but with the the reason i wrote that the first derivative of the wavefunction is not continuous at the boundary x=-a, and b was cause i thought that when on the otherside of a boundary the potential->infinity, so KE->-infinty at boundaries so first derivative->infinity also. this is cause it seems to be infinite potential and so not physically realistic.

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6
    thats mainly the reason behind choosing the wavefunction = 0 in both regions 1 and 4..

lets first consider the situation when we say that the wavefunction and its derivative should be continuos in region (1) and (2) when x = -a ..

you have in region (2) that the wavefunction = A sin(k1x) + B cos(k1x) .. so when x = -a

in region(2) the wavefunction = - A sin(k1a) + B cos(k1a) & you know that the wavefunction in region(1) at x = -a is zero >>> then 0 = -A sin(k1a) + B cos(k1a)
    im not allowed to proceed more than this, but i think you got the point (I hope!) .. continue with the derivatives .. and dont forget the other regions ..

good luck..

8. Apr 13, 2010 #7

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook