Wavelength of photon and size of imaged object

In summary, there is a statement that says 'the wavelength of photons used in imaging an object needs to be much larger than the object itself'. This statement is often mentioned in the context of different imaging modalities such as X-ray and MR. However, the reason behind this statement has not been clearly explained and there is no specific theorem named after any scientist that explains it. It is also mentioned that this requirement can make imaging at high magnet strengths challenging. This statement may be related to the probability of photon interaction with atoms and molecules containing protons, neutrons, and electrons, which may have something to do with the oscillatory properties of photons as they travel. However, there is no clear explanation of how the size of the object would
fred1234
I have read the statement that 'the wavelength of the photons used in imaging an object needs to be much larger than the object itself', although I have never seen/heard a reason explained or the name of a theorem quoted. I have seen this in the description of more than one imaging modalities, X ray, MR. I assume it has to do with the probability of photon interacting with the spatially distributed atoms/molecules containing the proton/neutron/electron. Which has something to do with the oscillatory existence / non-existence of the electric and magnetic properties of the photon as it travels. And I assume that some scientist(s) that I have heard of before already have a theorem named after them that explains it.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
fred1234 said:
I have read the statement that 'the wavelength of the photons used in imaging an object needs to be much larger than the object itself'

Size of my desk: about 1 meter
Wavelength of the light striking it: about 500 nanometers. ([itex]5 \times 10^{-7}[/itex] meters)

I can see my desk just fine.

The imaging modalities I am referring to, (X ray, MR), the photons predominately homogeneously interact with the proton/neutron/electron(s) of the atom/molecules throughout the whole object being imaged and not just the surface of the object that the photons reach first. For example in 1H MRI at 1Tesla the frequency of the photons used have a wavelength of about 6 meters, which is much larger than the humans that are normally the objects imaged. When 9.4Tesla is used the wavelength narrows to about 1 meter and MR imaging of humans starts to become tricky. Why? What is the properties of the interactions of the photons with the matter that have changed between 6 meters and 1 meters wavelengths that involve the size of the object? MRI of rats and mice at 9T does not involve the same difficulties. (Note: MR scientists are only brave enough to work with the rats that are much smaller than 1 meter :-)

In MRI the position information is not given by the spatial localization of the emitted radiation. The subject being imaged is in an inhomogeneous magnetic field, so the resonant frequency depends on position. Know the frequency and you know where the radiation was emitted from.

fred1234 said:
I have read the statement that 'the wavelength of the photons used in imaging an object needs to be much larger than the object itself', although I have never seen/heard a reason explained or the name of a theorem quoted.
Are you sure you don't have this backwards? The smaller the wave length, the more precise position information. I would think that the wavelength must be much smaller than the object.

I have seen this in the description of more than one imaging modalities, X ray, MR. I assume it has to do with the probability of photon interacting with the spatially distributed atoms/molecules containing the proton/neutron/electron. Which has something to do with the oscillatory existence / non-existence of the electric and magnetic properties of the photon as it travels. And I assume that some scientist(s) that I have heard of before already have a theorem named after them that explains it.

Any ideas?

I agree with HallsofIvy. I think you have it backwards. In fact, I am sure you have heard of electron microscopes and electron beam lithography. These machines exist for this very reason: electrons have a shorter wavelength than light (they give more resolution than optical microscopes and photolithography, respectively).

Bests,
-PR

The statement as I heard/read it was 'the wavelength has to be much larger than the object being imaged'. Note: this is object size as a whole entity and not the separation between resolvable features. This reason was given as one of the requirements for MR imaging and one of the reasons imaging at really high magnet strengths would be tricky. The wavelength used for 1H MR imaging at 1.5T(most common magnet strength used) is 4.5m, which is much larger than about 0.25m bore of the magnet used to image humans. MR imaging under these conditions is considered to be reasonably compliant due to this aforementioned statement. The wavelength at 9.4T, (currently considered a really high magnetic strength), is just under 1m, and was stated that imaging at 9.4T would be challenging due to the wavelength to size of object condition. Some, but not all, of the problems that were mentioned were: hot spots, nulls, standing waves. The resolution seems to be better at 9.4T than at 1.5T so I do not think this has to do with the standard wavelength to molecule separation restriction of achievable resolution.

Everywhere I have read this just states it without explanation of what the cause or effects related to this requirement would be. When I ask lecturers that have made this statement they appear to side step around giving any actual answer. Since I have come across this statement many times I would like to understand what is meant by it. I do not have any clue as to how the size of the object would manifest itself as a problem in relation to the wavelength. I assume that the probability of photon / proton(neutron) interaction is dependent on the wavelength somehow and this produces spatial variations in this probability, but this is only a guess.

Thanks,

Fred

1. What is the relationship between the wavelength of a photon and the size of an imaged object?

The wavelength of a photon and the size of an imaged object are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength of a photon decreases, the size of the imaged object becomes larger.

2. How does the size of an imaged object affect the resolution of an image?

The size of an imaged object directly affects the resolution of an image. A smaller imaged object will result in a higher resolution image.

3. Can the wavelength of a photon be used to determine the size of an imaged object?

No, the wavelength of a photon alone cannot be used to determine the size of an imaged object. Other factors such as the imaging system and the properties of the object being imaged also play a role in determining the size of the imaged object.

4. How does the wavelength of a photon affect the color of an image?

The wavelength of a photon is directly related to the color of an image. Shorter wavelengths correspond to blue or violet colors, while longer wavelengths correspond to red or orange colors.

5. Can the wavelength of a photon be changed to improve the quality of an image?

Yes, adjusting the wavelength of a photon can improve the quality of an image. For example, using shorter wavelengths in ultraviolet light can reveal details that may not be visible with longer wavelengths in visible light.