Wavelength of surface waves in terms of surface tension, density and frequency

  • Thread starter Thread starter pisiks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
pisiks
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The wavelength of [tex]\lambda[/tex] of waves on the surface of a water on a cup has three variables:
surface tension of the water [tex]\sigma[/tex], water density [tex]\rho[/tex], and frequency of vibration f. Deduce the relationship of these three variable to the wavelength.

Would the same relationship hold if you were on the moon?

Homework Equations


[tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]([tex]\sigma[/tex], [tex]\rho[/tex], f)


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can use the Buckingham-pi theorem here but I don't quite know how it works

But normally I'd do this

[tex]\lambda = k \sigma^a \rho^b f^c[/tex]

then write everything in tersm of the fundamental units and equate the units on the LHS and RHS