Calculating Wavelength of Surface Waves on a Lake

  • Thread starter Thread starter phys1618
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
phys1618
Messages
105
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


it's stated that 2.5meters separated a trough and an adjacent crest of surfae wave on a lke.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



At first I thought if the trough to th crest is 2.5meters then i would double that to get the wavelength from crest to crest. But then when I drew another wave picture, the 2.5 can be the amplitude? so that would make me taking half of the 2.5meters instead?? I think my problrm is not understanding what that statmnt is trying to say. I'm unsure if I would multiply 2.5m by two or divide by half. thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phys1618 said:
At first I thought if the trough to th crest is 2.5meters then i would double that to get the wavelength from crest to crest.
That's how I interpreted the problem statement: The horizontal separation between trough and adjacent crest is 2.5 m. (But I admit that it is ambiguous.)

If 2.5 m is the vertical separation between those two points, then you would not be able to find the wavelength (which is what you are asked to find, right?).
 
yes, when i first read it, i thought i should double the 2.5m., but in the statemnt is it referrring it has a standing wave or regular wave? am i thinking too much into the problem? is it as simple as it sounds? =x
but you know, you are right, if 2.5 is the vertical separation between the two, I don't think i can find the wavelength. so go with the first idea?
thank you for the help.