1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves can cause the displacement of an object.

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    Now it's known that waves can't cause the displacement of an object but i made a few experiments that proves it can. For example , wind can cause a wave the can move a piece of paper. However, a water wave can't cause the displacement of and object but other waves like wind can cause that waves can. So i think that it depends on the wave itself.

If there are any objections towards this post , please tell me in the comments below.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide any references for that?

Waves can cause a displacement of objects. However, the displacement of objects is not required to have waves. Maybe this caused the misconception?

What about surfers? ;)

4. May 6, 2012 #3
    mfb , surfers usually move themselves before they surf by rowing the surfboard at first. You can try it by just standing in the middle of the water in the beach and letting a water wave come by you and it will not move you. However , my objection is about wind waves that can carry matter ...

5. May 6, 2012 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you are thinking sail boats don't move?

When you say waves can't move things you are speaking of a purely theoretical ocean wave in which the water moves in an elliptical path, with essentially no net horizontal motion. This in NOT related in any way to the wind nor does it address currents in the water which will cause a net horizontal motion.

6. May 6, 2012 #5
    Thank you for your feedback integral but don't sail boats move because of the wind and not because of the water waves?

7. May 6, 2012 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Absolutly, but you are the one who broght the wind into consideration. I was not sure why you thought it had anything to do with your question.

8. May 6, 2012 #7

Drakkith

Wind is not a wave. It is the movement of a fluid.

9. May 7, 2012 #8

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Karimspencer, Richard Feynman said "A good scientist always tries to prove himself wrong." (from my memory) There is a great lesson in that for all of us.

Now, you wrote in your opening post "a water wave can't cause the displacement of and (sic) object..." That seems to be mistaken, expecially considering this: Go over to Japan and ask some folks there if a water wave can cause the displacement of an object. You may want to revise your statement, and then try asking your questions again. All of us here are learning.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

10. May 8, 2012 #9
    Now i understand the confusion everybody... Now i have learned in school that a wave only carries energy and not matter. I tried if a water wave could cause the displacement of an object and it didn't work(But maybe i was wrong about that). And then i asked my physics teacher if a wind can cause a wave and she said yes and since i have seen wind carry paper , i told myself that a wave can cause the displacement of an object. As you see , i am trying to prove that a wave can cause the displacement of an object but my physics teacher says that it's a known fact that it doesn't. So, i then made a discussion on this forum to see what you guys think.

Anyway, thank you all for your feedback.

11. May 8, 2012 #10

mfb

2016 Award

No, what your physics teacher actually said (or should have said, or meant) is that you can have waves without matter transport. Many types of waves propagate through a medium without any displacement of this medium (permanent change of its position). However, there are waves which transport matter, too.
    A different question is whether waves in a medium can move some objects within this medium or not. And they can do this.

Another, unrelated thing, is wind, which is (on human scales) not wave-like, but a permanent flow of air in one direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook