Ways of determining chronometric age

• Thread starter ThomasFuhlery
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the field being discussed is the identification of human bones through methods such as DNA testing, PCR, and isotope analysis. These methods can provide information on the individual's age, diet, and geographical origin. Archeologists are able to identify human bones based on their shape and context, and isotope analysis can also differentiate between different food sources. However, C14 dating is not reliable for bones less than 100 years old due to small amounts of decay and the effects of atomic weapons testing.
ThomasFuhlery
At least I think that's the field I'm looking for.

I need to know if there is a way, through collagen collecting, DNA testing with PCR, etc., what is the defining characteristic in a piece of a BONE that would tell that it is human, i.e., is it possible to tell the # of chromosomes, or some other method?

And also: what are some ways of determining chronometric age in such a sample (besides C-14, Potassium-Argon, etc.)?

Thanks!
An Interested Layman

Biology news on Phys.org
Usually it is easiest to tell if it is human from the shape and size, especially if you you know the area you find it in. DNA doesn't always survive very well depending on the conditions. C14 is the main way of ageing human remains, at least for modern humns in the last 50,000 years.

You can also get a lot of useful information about where the person was born and grew up as well as their diet from isotope ratios.

Stratigraphy is also a primary means of dating old bones and fossilized remains.

jim mcnamara said:
Stratigraphy is also a primary means of dating old bones
And most accurate if you have good stratigraphy.
There was a sensational result for an abbey in Whitby ( Yorkshire UK) showing monks with syphalis which C14 dated to before contact with S. America.
The monk's diet was mostly fish which pick up geological C from the sea - so the C14 dates looked centuries older than they should be.

Interesting!

My question was meant to refer to an otherwise unidentifiable *piece* of bone -- and the testable characteristics that might confirm that it is human.

Also -- can anyone tell me more about diet information from isotope ratios (or another method?)

And one more thing. What would you expect the range look like on a good sample of modern bone (like 20 yrs. old) with C14? (example: "___ B.P. + or - ___ @ ___ sigma").

thanks again

Archeologists are very good at spotting human bone, even fragments, from the shape. And context helps, if you dig it out of grave it's human, if you dif it out of a midden and it has butchery marks it's pig!
I don't know if there are human specific antigens that you can easily detect, it may be that they are enough to determine human/pig in a site in europe but might be a problem if it either human/chimp in say africa.

Any oxygen in your bones came from the air/water but most other elements especially Carbomn must have come from your food - and so depending on if your food was eating grass which fixed CO2 out of the air or was eating shellfish that took CO2 from the sea you can tell a differenc ein isotopes.

Your last point - I don't think you could use C14 for anythng less than 100 years old just because the amount of decay would be so small. Samples newer than 1950s are also a real problem because of the effects of atmospheric atomic weapons tests.

1. What is chronometric age and how is it different from biological age?

Chronometric age refers to the precise number of years since an individual's birth, while biological age is a measure of how well the body is functioning and can be influenced by various factors such as genetics and lifestyle choices.

2. What are some common methods used to determine chronometric age?

Some common methods include radiocarbon dating, dendrochronology, and thermoluminescence dating. Each of these methods uses different techniques to measure the age of an object or organism based on its physical or chemical properties.

3. How accurate are these methods in determining chronometric age?

The accuracy of these methods can vary depending on the specific technique used and the condition of the sample being tested. Generally, they can provide a range of ages with a margin of error of a few years to several decades.

4. Can chronometric age be used to determine the age of any object or organism?

No, chronometric age can only be accurately determined for objects or organisms that contain materials that can be dated using the methods mentioned above. For example, it cannot be used to determine the age of rocks or fossils that do not contain organic materials.

5. Why is determining chronometric age important in scientific research?

Determining chronometric age can provide valuable information about the history and timeline of events related to a particular object or organism. It can also help scientists understand how various factors such as climate change, evolution, and human activity have affected the world over time.