Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We know that superposition principle is valid in Quantum Mechanics

1. Jul 21, 2013 #1
    because Schrodinger equation is a linear differential equation. How do we show that Schrodinger equation is a linear differential equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2013 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have a second order PDE for a function [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex], it is of the general form

[itex]F(\partial_{tt}\psi,\partial_{xx}\psi,\partial_{xt}\psi,\partial_{t} \psi,\partial_{x}\psi,\psi)=g(x,t)[/itex]

If the equation is linear, then [itex]F[/itex] is linear with respect to all its arguments, i.e.

[itex]F(\partial_{tt}\psi,\partial_{xx}\psi,\partial_{xt}\psi,\partial_{t} \psi,\partial_{x}\psi,\psi,x,t)\\=a(x,t)\partial_{tt}\psi+b(x,t) \partial_{xx} \psi+c(x,t)\partial_{xt}\psi+d(x,t)\partial_{t} \psi+e(x,t)\partial_{x}\psi+f(x,t)\psi[/itex]

There's no terms proportional to [itex](\partial_{x}\psi)^{2}[/itex] or something like that.

In the case of time-dependent SE for one 1D particle, we have [itex]d(x,t)=i\hbar[/itex], [itex]b(x,t)=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}[/itex], [itex]f(x,t)=-V(x,t)[/itex] and other coefficients are zero.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Jul 21, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Assume that ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## each satisfy the SE. Substitute the linear combination ##a\psi_1 + b\psi_2## (where a and b are constants) into the SE and show that it is also a solution.

5. Jul 22, 2013 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

The time-dep. SE can be written as

##(i\partial_t - H)\psi = 0##

So if you have two solutions i=1,2 then any linear combination is a solution, too

##(i\partial_t - H)\psi_i = 0 \;\to\; (i\partial_t - H)(a_1\psi_1 + a_2\psi_2) = 0##

6. Jul 22, 2013 #5

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually you have got the cart before the horse. We know the superposition principle is valid because the states form a Hilbert space. That time evolution is linear follows from Wigners theorem and the invariance of the Born Rule:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner's_theorem.

Like so much in modern physics its deep reason lies in symmetry which is itself something very deep and interesting. See the following I read ages ago at the library and have been meaning to get a copy myself:
    https://www.amazon.com/Symmetries-R...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374543605&sr=1-1

You will find a proper axiomatic development of QM and see what is basic and what isn't in Ballentine's - QM - A Modern Development. There is really only two axioms - the first is about the eigenvalues of operators on a Hilbert Space (that's the reason the superposition principle holds - its a basic property of Hilbert Spaces - but the exact reasoning is interesting and slightly subtle - get the book to see what I mean - it's got to do with so called pure and mixed states), the second is the Born Rule. And from Gleason's Theorem the second follows from the first with a very reasonable assumption so one could argue it really involves just one axiom - strictly speaking it doesn't - you need the second axiom - but the assumption (non contextuality) is just so reasonable at the mathematical level in light of the first.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook