How many coulombs of charge in a 5 g nickel coin?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coulombs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
leprofece
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
How many Coulombs of charge positive and negative are there is a coin of 5 g of mass?
Answe: 2,3.105 C

I don't know but I have no idea I think there is no enough data
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know of what metal the coin is made?
 
leprofece said:
How many Coulombs of charge positive and negative are there is a coin of 5 g of mass?
Answe: 2,3.105 C

I don't know but I have no idea I think there is no enough data

If we suppose that the coin is made of nickel, the atomic number is $28$ and the atomic mass is $58.7 \text{ u}$.

Therefore $5 \text{ grams}$ contains $\frac {5}{58.7} \text{ mol}$ in metal atoms.
Multiply by $N_A$ and we find $\frac {5}{58.7} \cdot 6.022\cdot 10^{23}\text{ atoms}$.
With 28 electrons that corresponds to:
$$\frac {5}{58.7} \cdot 6.022\cdot 10^{23} \cdot 28 \text{ electrons}$$
Convert to coulombs and we get:
$$\frac {5}{58.7} \cdot \frac{6.022\cdot 10^{23}}{6.241\cdot 10^{18}}\cdot 28 = 2.3\cdot 10^5 \text{ coulombs}$$

I think the coin is made of nickel! ;)
 
Last edited: