How Many coulombs pass through each resistor in a circuit?

In summary, the question is asking how many Coulombs pass through each resistor in a circuit with a 12 volt battery and two ohm resistors connected in series. The equation V=IR is relevant to this problem. The person attempted to use the conversion factor 1 coulomb=6.25 x 10^18 to solve the problem, but was unsure how to apply it. The conversation also discusses the definitions of current and its units in relation to Ohm's law.
Precut

Homework Statement

My question relating to physics and electric circuits, is "If a circuit consists of a 12 volt battery and two ohm resistors connected in series, then how many Coulombs pass through each resistor in a second".

Thank you all so very much.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using things such as "1 coulomb=6.25 x 10^18 to solve the problems but I just don't know how to.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do V, I, and R in Ohm's law stand for? How are coulombs related to Ohm's law?

Drakkith said:
What do V, I, and R in Ohm's law stand for? How are coulombs related to Ohm's law?
Volts=Current x Resistance

Precut said:
Volts=Current x Resistance
What's the definition of 'current'? How is it measured? What are its units?

1. How do I calculate the number of coulombs passing through a resistor in a circuit?

To calculate the number of coulombs passing through a resistor, you will need to know the current flowing through the resistor, as well as the amount of time that the current is flowing. You can then use the formula Q=It, where Q is the charge in coulombs, I is the current in amperes, and t is the time in seconds.

2. What is the unit for measuring coulombs?

Coulombs are measured in the International System of Units (SI) as the unit of electric charge. One coulomb is equal to the charge carried by a current of one ampere in one second.

3. Can the number of coulombs passing through a resistor change over time?

Yes, the number of coulombs passing through a resistor can change over time. This can happen if the current or the time changes. In a circuit with a constant current, the number of coulombs passing through a resistor will increase as time passes.

4. Can the number of coulombs passing through a resistor be negative?

No, the number of coulombs passing through a resistor cannot be negative. Coulombs represent the amount of positive charge passing through a point in a circuit, so it is always a positive value.

5. How does the number of coulombs passing through a resistor affect the overall circuit?

The number of coulombs passing through a resistor affects the overall circuit by determining the amount of charge that is transferred throughout the circuit. This can impact the voltage and current in the circuit, which in turn affects the performance of the circuit.