Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)

In summary, Steven Weinberg has recently written a new book and some members of the conversation have received their copies. It is a textbook on modern physics with a focus on historical insights. Unfortunately, the news of Weinberg's passing has overshadowed the excitement for his new book.
Physics news on Phys.org
I was unaware of the book, so I have not read it. Now that I am aware, I have ordered it to add to my Weinberg collection.

Likes Astronuc, atyy and Demystifier
It looks like a fun book geared towards an unusual audience. I shouldn't buy it, but if it gets a nice comment in this thread, well... maybe I need it.

Likes Delta2
It's, I'd say the first, a Weinberg textbook on the undergraduate level. I started to read it and on the one hand I like it, because it's very clear concerning the physics. On the other hand I was a bit disappointed, because it's not of the typical Weinberg style with the ideal mixture between providing historical insight in an introductory chapter but then exposing the physics from a modern state-of-the-art point of view emphasizing the logic of the theory in a deductive way. Here, for my taste, he overemphasizes the historical approach a bit too much, but it's still a very good introductory undergraduate-level text on "modern physics".

Likes Delta2, Astronuc, atyy and 2 others
Steven Weinberg died today, at the age of 88.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes Amrator, Delta2, smodak and 11 others
Yesterday I received the book. Awful news about Weinberg.

Likes vanhees71
I received my copy yesterday (depends on choice of time origin). Too busy to really look at it.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical

1. What is the main focus of "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)"?

The main focus of "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)" is to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of the fundamental principles and theories of modern physics. It covers topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.

2. Who is the author of "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)"?

The author of "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)" is Steven Weinberg, a renowned physicist and Nobel laureate known for his contributions to the field of particle physics and cosmology.

3. Is "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)" suitable for beginners?

No, "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)" is not suitable for beginners. It is intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics and related fields, as well as researchers and professionals in the field.

4. What sets "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)" apart from other textbooks on modern physics?

"Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)" is unique in its approach to modern physics, as it combines a rigorous mathematical treatment with a clear and intuitive explanation of the underlying concepts. It also incorporates the latest developments and discoveries in the field.

5. Are there any online resources available for "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)"?

Yes, there are online resources available for "Weinberg, Foundations of Modern Physics (2021)". These include supplementary materials, such as problem sets and solutions, as well as lecture notes and additional resources for further reading.