Welcome to try my digital designs

• Thread starter Photonico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digital
In summary, Photonica is a set of VSCode themes with a slab serif font designed for coding. Similar letters such as G and S do have lower serifs, but that is the case with many other monospaced serif typefaces. To be certain, your font achieves this description.
Photonico
Hi everyone,

Digital design is also my interest. I have two works:

1. Photonico Code
This is a slab serif font designed for coding, which supports Latin, Greek letters, and mathematical notations.
Link: https://github.com/Photonico/Photonico_Code
Preview:
overview_1.0.png
2. Photonica
This is a set of VSCode themes
Link: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ConAntares.Photonica
Preview:
dark_1.0.4.png

light_azure_1.0.4.png

light_orange_1.0.4.png

light_violet_1.0.4.png
I am looking forward any suggestions.

Science news on Phys.org
Shouldn't "C" by horizontally symmetric? I find the missing lower serif disturbing.

fresh_42 said:
Shouldn't "C" by horizontally symmetric?
There is a serif on top of the character C.

Photonico said:
There is a serif on top of the character C.
Yes, but the missing lower one irritates me.

fresh_42 said:
Shouldn't "C" by horizontally symmetric? I find the missing lower serif disturbing.
I 'C' your point. Similar letters such as G and S do have lower serifs.

However, that is the case with many other monospaced serif typefaces - such as Courier - too.
1687358764778.png
Still, it's a nice, calming monospace font.

Now that I have seen this, I cannot use my usual font anymore ...:confused:

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes BillTre, Photonico and DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
I 'C' your point. Similar letters such as G and S do have lower serifs.

However, that is the case with many other monospaced serif typefaces - such as Courier - too.
View attachment 328177Still, it's a nice, calming monospace font.
Thank you very much. My fondness lies strongly with slab-serif monospace fonts, but I've noticed a scarcity of this type.

I surmise that one reason could be that this particular design tends to lead to a certain degree of homogeneity.

I have tried to make some customized designs in my font.

I look forward to any feedback.

Photonico said:
Thank you very much. My fondness lies strongly with slab-serif monospace fonts, but I've noticed a scarcity of this type.

I surmise that one reason could be that this particular design tends to lead to a certain degree of homogeneity.

I have tried to make some customized designs in my font.

I look forward to any feedback.

To be certain I found this definition on myfonts:

A slab serif font is a serif font where the serif is squared off, giving the font a blocky, sturdy appearance as opposed to the more refined look of a traditional serif. Slab serifs tend to have less contrast overall than other serifs, which contributes to their heavy, often dramatic appearance. ... Popular slab serif fonts include Rockwell, Clarendon, Serifa, Courier, and Memphis.

Presuming concurrence with this definition, your font achieves this description. Being a fan of sans serif fonts for quicker reading, I also prefer a balanced symmetrical character for the letter 'c'; that is, no serif top and bottom. Once committed to slab serif one can argue the efficacy of serif placement -- top, bottom, both for symmetry, or none, also symmetric.

The further definition mentions slab fonts preferred for block text, particularly titles and banners. For coding purposes I prefer unobtrusive unadorned sans serif fonts that preclude ambiguity. Early coding texts and numerals generally required a set space on a Hollerith card leading to a preference for proportional fonts where each character occupies identical space.

While a bold and dramatic font for titles and text blocks, I am unsure of any advantage for coding purposes though without trial. This font reminds one of early typesetter slab serif fonts with a nod toward the origin of our alphabet and numerals. For instance, the dot in the center of the typed zero harks back to the misty origins* of this vital placeholder. This image from an early Indian manuscript indicates a 'dot zero'.
1687869101853.png
1687869101853.png
*I have enjoyed reading several books over the years dedicated to zero, as a mathematical concept but also for its importance in computation.

Likes Photonico

What is "Welcome to try my digital designs"?

"Welcome to try my digital designs" is a statement or invitation from a scientist or designer to others to try out their digital designs. It could refer to anything from software programs to digital art pieces.

Why would someone want others to try their digital designs?

There are a few reasons why a scientist or designer might want others to try their digital designs. It could be to get feedback and improve the design, to showcase their skills and creativity, or to collaborate with others on a project.

What kind of digital designs can be tried?

There are countless types of digital designs that can be tried, depending on the skills and interests of the scientist or designer. Some examples include graphic design, website design, video game design, 3D modeling, and data visualization.

How can I try someone's digital designs?

The method for trying someone's digital designs will vary depending on the type of design and the preferences of the creator. It could involve downloading a software program or app, accessing a website or online platform, or collaborating with the creator directly.

What are the benefits of trying someone's digital designs?

There are several potential benefits to trying someone's digital designs. It could provide a learning opportunity, inspire creativity, foster collaboration and networking, and help the creator improve their design through feedback and suggestions.