Were any 'breakthroughs' in particle physics

In summary, the Soviet Union made significant contributions to the field of particle physics, including the discovery of elements such as rutherfordium, seaborgium, and bohrium at JINR in Dubna. They also made important discoveries such as nonradiative transitions in mesoatoms and the phenomenon of slow neutron confinement. However, many of these achievements were not widely known due to the isolation of the USSR.
bill nye scienceguy!
made in the Soviet Union?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Soviet Russia, particles break through you.

I hate people that can't give examples, but I'm one of them. From what I remember from Kip Thorne's book pretty much all of the breakthroughs in particle physics came out of the USSR. the only problem was they were the only ones who knew it. They figured out everything we did independently.

Cherenkov radiation is named after Russian scientist.

The Russians made a lot of contributions to the field,

Some discoveries made at JINR, Dubna:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JINR

* 1959 – nonradiative transitions in mesoatoms
* 1960 – antisigma-minus hyperon
* 1963 – element 102
* 1972 – postradiative regeneration of cells
* 1973 – quark counting rule
* 1975 – phenomenon of slow neutron confinement
* 1988 – regularity of resonant formation of muonic molecules in deuterium
* 1999-2005 – elements 114, 116, 118, 115 and 113
* 2006 – chemical identification of element 112

Elements discovered at JINR: rutherfordium (1964), seaborgium (1974), bohrium (1976), ununquadium (Island of stability, 1999), ununhexium (2001), ununtrium (2004), ununpentium (2004), ununoctium (2006).

possibly interesting reading:
http://www.hssonline.org/teaching/teaching_graham7.html

Last edited by a moderator:
wiki said:
1999-2005 – elements 114, 116, 118, 115 and 113
* 2006 – chemical identification of element 112

Elements discovered at JINR: ununquadium (Island of stability, 1999), ununhexium (2001), ununtrium (2004), ununpentium (2004), ununoctium (2006).
Normally I wouldn't comment in a thread like this except to make fun of it. However, I will take the time to point out that these events did not take place in the Soviet Union which collapsed in 1991.

Last edited:
However, I will take the time to point out that these events did not take place in the Soviet Union which collapsed in 1991.

SimpsonsUSSR.jpg

That is what we wanted you to think!

I was just wondering because when you think of things like 'where were quarks discovered' or likewise for antimatter, w and z bosons etc., it was always in a western lab. Cerenkov radiation is the obvious exception.

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It aims to understand the nature of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

2. What are some examples of breakthroughs in particle physics?

Some examples of breakthroughs in particle physics include the discovery of the Higgs boson, the confirmation of the Standard Model of particle physics, and the observation of neutrino oscillations.

3. How do scientists make breakthroughs in particle physics?

Scientists make breakthroughs in particle physics through a combination of theoretical predictions, experimental observations, and technological advancements. They use powerful particle accelerators and detectors to study the behavior of particles at high energies.

4. Why are breakthroughs in particle physics important?

Breakthroughs in particle physics allow us to deepen our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works. They also have practical applications, such as in medical imaging and technology development.

5. Are there any recent breakthroughs in particle physics?

Yes, there have been several recent breakthroughs in particle physics, including the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 and the observation of gravitational waves in 2015. Scientists continue to make new discoveries and advancements in this field.