What an electron in an atom will do when given more energy

In summary, the question is about an electron in an atom with energy gaps of 1.7eV and 2.1eV in the first and third levels, respectively. The question is what happens when an electron with 1.9eV of energy is given to an electron in the first level. There is a possibility that the electron could move to the second level while giving off a 0.2eV photon, but it is more likely that the electron will ignore the incoming photon. This is based on the concept of resonance in the absorption of light by an atom. In a semiclassical model, the electron could be excited to a higher energy state with some probability, but in QED there is a process where
ovais
Hello all,

I have a question. Consider an electron in a shell of an atom has energy as 1.0ev and in the next shell it energy should be 2.7eV and the further next level energy is let's say 3.1eV. Means an energy gap of 1.7eV is their between first and second level and an energy gap o 2.1 eV is their between first and third level.My question is what happens when energy of 1.9eV which is more than 1.7eV but less than 2.1eV is given to an electron in first level?

Will it aborsb all energy, go to second level and then release the rest of 0.4eV energy?Or will it do not absorb this amount of energy at all? What exactly will the electron do with the energy supplied?

Regards!
Thanks a bunch in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If a 1.9 ev photon strikes the electron then it could move to the second level while giving off a .2 ev photon. But I think this is improbable. More likely the electron would just ignore the incoming photon. All of this is my opinion.

If you put an atom in an oscillating electromagnetic field where the photon energies do not exactly correspond to a transition energy, the atom will go back and forth between an excited state and the original state because of alternating absorption and stimulated emission.

Gene Naden said:
More likely the electron would just ignore the incoming photon. All of this is my opinion.
Thanks Gene Naden giving your opinion and I also think so :) however just need an answer from someone who can answer this with surety not a mere opinion.

Well actually I am pretty sure of my answer. The absorption of light by an atom is subject to resonance, which means that it is much more likely to occur if the incoming energy matches the transition energy.

Look at the pages 83-85 in this document:

https://www.physik.hu-berlin.de/de/nano/lehre/copy_of_quantenoptik09/Chapter7

The deviation of the photon frequency from the actual atomic transition energy is called "detuning". My previous comment may have been a bit misleading, as actually an EM wave of the exact transition frequency will also cause alternating excitation and de-excitation. The difference is that a detuned wave will never move the atom to a state where it is excited with 100% probability.

This kind of model is only an approximate semiclassical one, though, but trying to solve the problem with QED and Feynman diagrams would be a lot more complicated than the shell model of an atom that you're assuming in the first place, here.

hilbert2 said:
Look at the pages 83-85 in this document:

https://www.physik.hu-berlin.de/de/nano/lehre/copy_of_quantenoptik09/Chapter7

The deviation of the photon frequency from the actual atomic transition energy is called "detuning". My previous comment may have been a bit misleading, as actually an EM wave of the exact transition frequency will also cause alternating excitation and de-excitation. The difference is that a detuned wave will never move the atom to a state where it is excited with 100% probability.

This kind of model is only an approximate semiclassical one, though, but trying to solve the problem with QED and Feynman diagrams would be a lot more complicated than the shell model of an atom that you're assuming in the first place, here.
Thanks hilbert2 for the answer with rigorous concepts of QED. Form what Gene Naden endorse and what I could conclude from your post is that the answer to my very question in my first post of this thread is that the electron will do nothing with that energy and will not go to next excited state liberating excess energy.

Am I correct.

The elecromagnetic wave with a "mismatched" frequency can excite the electron to a higher energy state with some probability (which becomes smaller when the mismatch increases), at least in the semiclassical model where the EM wave obeys classical electrodynamics and only the atom is treated quantum mechanically. I don't have the skills to analyze this with QED, but I guess there's some process where an atom can capture only a part of the energy of a photon, resulting with the atom in excited state and a lower-frequency photon.

ovais said:
Thanks hilbert2 for the answer with rigorous concepts of QED. Form what Gene Naden endorse and what I could conclude from your post is that the answer to my very question in my first post of this thread is that the electron will do nothing with that energy and will not go to next excited state liberating excess energy.

Am I correct.
The emission/absorption spectra have a finite width and it is not clear cut what happens. These lecture notes may help answer your questions.
Laser Cooling of Atoms
https://web.stanford.edu/~rpam/dropoff/Phys041N/lecture6-lasercooling.pdf

1. What happens to an electron in an atom when it is given more energy?

When an electron in an atom is given more energy, it will move to a higher energy level or orbit further from the nucleus.

2. Can an electron in an atom have an infinite amount of energy?

No, according to the laws of physics, an electron can only have a finite amount of energy. When an electron reaches the highest energy level, it cannot move any further from the nucleus.

3. What factors determine how much energy an electron in an atom can have?

The amount of energy an electron can have is determined by the specific energy levels or orbitals of the atom. These energy levels are determined by the atomic number and the number of electrons in the atom.

4. What causes an electron in an atom to gain more energy?

An electron in an atom can gain more energy through various processes such as absorption of light, collision with other particles, or changes in the chemical environment of the atom.

5. Can an electron in an atom lose energy?

Yes, an electron in an atom can lose energy by releasing a photon of light, colliding with other particles, or through chemical reactions. This can cause the electron to move to a lower energy level or even be ejected from the atom.