What Are Berkeley Grad Students Saying About Maths Courses 202A, 205, and 214?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
SeReNiTy
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Any Berkeley grad students in maths here?

Just want to get your opinions on the following subjects,

202A
205
214

Pros and cons?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It greatly depends on who's teaching the course. Of those three 202A is the most basic. It's taken by about 50% undergraduates. My only experience with 205 is when Sarason taught it, and I did not enjoy it. It was hard, boring, and harshly graded. Unless you really like complex analysis, I wouldn't take it from him. 214 is a standard course in differnetial geometry with some Lie groups stuff. What do you actually want to know?
 
Well I'm a undergraduate student at the moment, and I was thinking of taking 2/3 of those units mentioned above. I've definitely decided on 202A and now I'm trying to decide between 214 and 205. Previously, I've enjoyed both complex analysis and differential topology.
 
Who are you? I'm an undergraduate too.

Also, I really liked 185, but hated 205. It was totally technical stuff. For instance, we spend two weeks proving a bound on one of the coefficients of the taylor expansion of a holomorphic map. That's not my cup of tea.
 
Last edited: