Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are Chords? What is the smallest unit in physics?

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    What are Chords? What is the smallest "unit" in physics?

Someone told me they read a Yahoo AP article stating the most basic "building block" of the universe was a sound wave, and upon discovery this had been named a chord(or perhaps cord/kord/etc).

Again, this was an AP article, but I haven't found anything on it.

What is this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2
    Re: What are Chords? What is the smallest "unit" in physics?

That's nonsense I'm afraid.
    Are you sure this wasn't april the 1st?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. May 28, 2012 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

I bet it was http://today.lbl.gov/2012/02/28/smoot-helps-grateful-dead%E2%80%99s-mickey-hart-interpret-music-of-the-cosmos/ [Broken].

More seriously, Wilczek has used a musical analogy. I can't locate it now, but IIRC it was about the Schroedinger wave equation and its eigenstates, which are analogous to the wave equation for sound and its harmonics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 28, 2012 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

Here's Wilczek's musical analogy: "in quantum mechanics, atoms appear as musical instruments".

It's 4 minutes into The Universe is a Strange Place.

6. May 29, 2012 #5

Yeah...Someone had told me it might be a misunderstanding of a string theory analogy ..something about tiny strings being the most basic bit of the universe, and these strings vibrate. With different vibrations creating a different particle, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook