What are my options for graduate school?

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student in an applied mathematics program and is concerned about the versatility of their degree. They are interested in pursuing a masters degree that will prepare them for a career, but not a PhD. They have taken courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, computer science, math, and accounting. They are currently compiling a list of possible graduate school options to consider, and have been advised to look into programs such as industrial engineering, operations research, or financial engineering that align with their interdisciplinary background and interests in math, computing, and business.
camdenreslink
I am currently an undergrad in an applied mathematics program. I am afraid that my degree is a jack-of-all-trades master of none type of degree, and was wondering what different types of subjects I could pursue in graduate school. I am not interested in obtaining a PhD. I am primarily interested in a masters degree that will prepare me for a career. I am trying to compile a list of possible graduate school options.

My coursework includes:
- Both mechanics and electricity and magnetism for physics majors.
- The introductory computer science sequence for computer science majors, as well as a scientific computing course.
- All classes required for a typical math degree, including an applied math sequence, linear algebra, differential equations, real analysis.
- An option to take a multitude of higher level mathematics or computer science courses as electives in my senior year(I'm not there...yet anyway...).
- I have also taken the accounting for business majors sequence as it interests me, and managing money seemed like a practical skill to develop.

I am trying to compile a list of every possible program that I might qualify for, and then from this huge master list, over the next year or so I will pare it down to where I might want to apply.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you are aiming for industry and coming from an interdisciplinary background, I would suggest taking a look at master programs in industrial engineering, operations research or perhaps financial engineering as you cited a background in math, computing and business.

1. What types of graduate programs are available?

There are several types of graduate programs available, including master's degrees, doctoral degrees, and professional degrees such as law or medicine. Within these categories, there are also various fields of study, such as science, humanities, and business.

2. What are the admission requirements for graduate school?

The admission requirements for graduate school vary depending on the program and school you are applying to. However, most programs will require a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores such as the GRE or GMAT.

3. How long does it take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program varies depending on the type of degree and field of study. Generally, a master's degree takes 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take anywhere from 3-7 years. Professional degrees, such as law or medicine, can take longer.

4. What are the costs associated with graduate school?

The cost of graduate school can vary greatly depending on the program and school. Generally, tuition for a graduate program is more expensive than undergraduate tuition. However, many schools offer financial aid, scholarships, and assistantships to help offset the cost.

5. What are the job prospects after completing a graduate program?

The job prospects after completing a graduate program depend on the field of study and the current job market. Generally, individuals with advanced degrees have a higher earning potential and more job opportunities. It is important to research the job market for your specific field of study before deciding on a graduate program.