Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Here's another irritating mistake "once and a while".
lisab said:That's OK, now in then.
Jimmy Snyder said:My wife refuses to believe that a couple means two. When she says a couple, she means a few. The problem is that when she came to the states she already spoke Chinese and Japanese. We were never able to find a school that teaches English as a third language.
But if "couple" means "few or several", then what do "few or several" mean?atyy said:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple :
Usage note
The phrase a couple of, meaning “a small number of; a few; several,” has been in standard use for centuries, especially with measurements of time and distance and in referring to amounts of money: They walked a couple of miles in silence. Repairs will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars. The phrase is used in all but the most formal speech and writing.
Evo said:But if "couple" means "few or several", then what do "few or several" mean?
What you posted is listed as an idiom, not a definition.
Drakkith said:That's a drinkers dozen.
I'd'ven't either.Evo said:
I know you didn't half to post that, but if you hadn't of, I wouldn't of rofled.
turbo said:There all kinds of colloquial redundancies in US English. One that gets me is "tuna fish". We already know that tuna is a fish. Are you going to make a salad with canned tuna for sandwiches or do we have tuna steaks that I can grill? "Fish" is not a logical modifier.
Evo said:People constantly write and say reoccur when they mean recur. When something happens repeatedly it recurs, as in recurring rates.
lisab said:I had chicken bird enchiladas for lunch.
Lol!Chi Meson said:I just experienced a new one, I think.
A news blurb talking about some local sampling of "Artesian Beer."
I'm fairly certain they meant "Artisan Beer" as in "Craft Beer." I don't think they meant that folks were going out of their way to make beer with waters from artesian aquifers. Or were they?
Chi Meson said:I don't think they meant that folks were going out of their way to make beer with waters from artesian aquifers. Or were they?