What are some recommended science and math books for a sophomore in high school?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alech4466
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
alech4466
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I am a sophomore in high school, and I have currently taken through Calculus 1, Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy, and 2 years worth (my school crams 1 year of material into a semester) of mixed sciences all with A's. While each of the classes served as an introductory level course(a little bit more advanced than normal because of my science teacher), I wanted to have a calculus, physics, chemistry, and maybe an astronomy book just to have a reference (any other science/math books you would recommend as a reference). Maybe books that are a little more advanced than introductory level courses. I have not taken an actual physics class though I do know the very basics, so maybe a physics book that is introductory, but still uses calculus, not trig. Thanks in Advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Differential and Integral Calculus (I think this is vol. 1)
(ISBN: 0471608424 )
Richard Courant
Bookseller: Castle Rock (Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 41.61
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 3.99
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds
30 Day Returns Policy

Differential and Integral Calculus (I think this is vol 2)
(ISBN: 0471608408 )
Richard Courant
Bookseller: Castle Rock (Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 12.00
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 3.99
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds
30 Day Returns Policy
 
Calculus, by Michael Spivak
Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick

The latter is calculus based. If you covered integration in your calc course you should be fine (not sure what was meant by high school calc I)
 
Okay, looking online for books, Halliday and Resnick popped up a lot.

I took calculus at the local community college because I was taking trig first semester and placed into calculus 2nd semester. The system they use calls the classes Calculus 1, 2 and 3.

Thank you
 
Oh okay then you should be fine with Halliday and Resnick, with the exception of a fiew parts where there are differential equations (circuits) and possibly a few parts where there are integration techniques like trig substitution used, although you should be able to follow along with the latter. You shouldn't encounter this stuff until after the physics 1 material though.

both spivak and courant v1 will cover the material of calc 1 and calc 2 on that system, but are likely more advanced and will make you think a lot more.