What are some textbooks and problem sets I can use to learn physics?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for pre-calculus physics textbooks with problem sets. The respondent suggests starting with calculus-based physics and learning calculus in parallel, rather than struggling with non-calculus math. They also recommend Thomas Calculus With Analytic Geometry as a good starting point for learning calculus and Alonso and Finn's Fundamental University Physics for understanding physics.
vadimuha
I'm looking to pre-calculus physics textbooks with problems sets. I need something as rigorous as possible. Problem sets can be separate from textbooks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I may ask: what is your reason for studying physics. If you really want to understand you will need to know the calculus and so that is where one should start, along with calculus based physics.

Likes vanhees71
Indeed, instead of struggling with "pre-calculus physics" rather start learning calculus, which you can also do in parallel by learning physics. Restricting yourself to non-calculus math makes it rather much more difficult than simpler to understand and communicate about physics. It's an unfortunate wrong track by some physics didacts to avoid the adequate math. It's in fact a lie to students to claim you could understand physics without calculus.

Likes hutchphd and etotheipi
A simple calculus book to get you started in learning Calculus is Thomas Calculus With Analytic Geometry 3rd edition. Make sure it is the 3rd edition. Higher number editions are entirely different books.

Once you learn a bit of calculus, have a look at Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are some popular textbooks for learning physics?

Some popular textbooks for learning physics include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma.

2. Are there any online resources for finding physics textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources for finding physics textbooks. Some popular websites include Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Chegg.

3. Can you recommend any problem sets for practicing physics concepts?

Some recommended problem sets for practicing physics concepts include "Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics" and "Problems in General Physics" by I.E. Irodov.

4. Are there any free resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are many free resources for learning physics. Some examples include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom.

5. Are there any physics textbooks specifically for beginners?

Yes, there are several physics textbooks designed for beginners, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight and "College Physics" by Serway and Vuille.