What are some good textbooks to use to teach myself Physics?

In summary, SirS is a high school student from urban Idaho who is passionate about learning physics and hopes to become a physicist in the future. They have decided to teach themselves physics as they have chosen to take AP Chemistry instead of physics in their sophomore year. SirS is looking for the best and most affordable textbooks to aid in their self-study and is also open to suggestions for advanced math materials. They are also planning to take multiple AP tests in the coming years and want to have a strong foundation in physics and calculus beforehand.
SirSnippy
Hey, I'm new here! I am a Sophomore in high school way over in urban Idaho, and I am at an impass. I have an extreme desire to learn physics, which I could take next year but decided to take AP Chem instead (I am taking AP Bio this year). So naturally I decided that I would teach myself Physics, as I would like to be a physicist someday. I hope to specialize in Condensed Matter Physics or Quantum Physics, but anything will do :smile: . I am aware of the online textbooks that are free to use, but when learning I am more of a solid object that I can take notes in the corner kinda guy. I am looking for the best textbook at the cheapest price. Also, I am currently in College Algebra and if I need a more advanced math please suggest it, and a textbook for that would be nice as well.
Much thanks,
SirS

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are Planning to give Advanced Placement Tests this year and looking for textbooks, then visit APcentral and view the Resource Page & Sample Syllabus

Well, that isn't exactly what I am looking for...I will be taking an AP test this year (AP Biology), next year (AP Chemistry), and two of them my senior year (AP Physics and AP Calculus); however, I am looking teach myself Physics just for the fun of it and because I really enjoy it. I am looking for the fastest way possible, and the way with the most and the best info, to teach myself Physics and Calculus at an adequately accelerated rate. I would much rather not be going into AP Physics and AP Chemistry blind and would like to surpass the knowledge received from AP Physics at the same time.
Thanks,
SirS

What are some good textbooks to use to teach myself Physics?

1. What are the top recommended textbooks for teaching Physics?

There are many great textbooks available for learning Physics, but some of the most highly recommended ones include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for self-study of Physics?

Yes, there are textbooks that are specifically designed for self-study of Physics. Some examples include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Randall Knight, and "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Douglas Giancoli.

3. Is it better to use one comprehensive textbook or multiple textbooks for learning Physics?

This depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people prefer using one comprehensive textbook, while others find it helpful to use multiple textbooks to get a variety of explanations and perspectives on the material.

4. Are there any textbooks that include practice problems and solutions?

Yes, many textbooks include practice problems and solutions to help reinforce the material and test understanding. Some textbooks also have accompanying workbooks or online resources with additional practice problems and solutions.

5. Are there any free online resources or textbooks available for learning Physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources and textbooks available for learning Physics. Some popular ones include "OpenStax Physics" by OpenStax, "Physics Classroom" by Glenbrook South High School, and "Physics for Beginners" by Johannes Gutenberg University. However, it's important to note that these resources may not cover all topics in depth or may not be as comprehensive as traditional textbooks.