What are some universities that have affiliation to national labs/Indu

In summary, some universities have affiliations with national labs or industry which can offer advantages for job seekers.
sleepydreamer
What are some universities that have affiliation to national labs and or Industry?

For examples I'm thinking of how:

Lockheed-Martin and USC have come together to create the Experimental and Theoretical Adiabatic Quantum Computation

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and University of California, Berkeley

Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Caltech

etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of tight associations, there is The Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratories (JHUAPL).

Don't overlook looser affiliations. The Naval Academy in Annapolis, The Naval Research Lab, The University of Maryland and places like the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Goddard Spaceflight Center, and many more. People tend to know each other in Tech heavy areas and doors do have a tendency to revolve...

Likes 1 person
NIST and University of Colorado, Boulder (they run JILA together)

You're missing:

Lawrence Livermore National Lab and University of California, Davis

and

University of Chicago and Argonne National Lab

Thanks for the replies!

My rational for asking is I am assuming that when/If I apply to graduate school places that have an affiliation with a lab/or company will enhance job prospects. Does this make sense?

sleepydreamer said:
Does this make sense?

No.

"Hey, about that opening. I don't think Bob is a good fit."
"But Bob went to a school that has an affiliation with a national lab."
"Well, that changes everything!"

sleepydreamer said:
Thanks for the replies!

My rational for asking is I am assuming that when/If I apply to graduate school places that have an affiliation with a lab/or company will enhance job prospects. Does this make sense?

Well it may enhance job prospects with that lab or company iff you do your graduate research at the lab or company.

If you're in engineering most of the most well-known schools have close relationships with many companies and labs.

Vanadium 50 said:
No.

I don't think that's how it would work. It would be more like

Hey about that opening. We have loads of applications and many of them are good like Bob.
Bob went to a school that has an affiliation with a national lab so you remember Prof. George who gave his recs. We like George so his word carries weight and he works here often due to the labs affiliation.
Lets take Bob it is less risky.

It is easy to frame ludicrous scenarios like the bad fit.

Vanadium 50 said:
No.

Sorry, what I meant was if you went to school that had an affiliation with X and then upon graduation wanted to get a job at that same X. Surely that would be meaningful?

I don't meant just name affiliation. I mean obviously you would have been building a relationship in some sense or working on projects with them. Wouldn't that be easier at a place that had a relationship with X?

Perhaps, I don't understand the relationship between X university and Y Lab/Gov/Industry?

For example if one is a grad student at X. How tight is Y's relationship with X? What are the chances that one would be able to work/know/network with Y? Is it just a share resources thing or how do these relationships work?

Typically, these labs leverage university talent and the universities leverage the practical talent available at the lab. In other words, it is a mutual back-scratching exercise for the professors and researchers.

If you happen to know a university professor who works with the lab, you might have a good foot in the door for a project they happen to be working on. But that would be the case no matter what. Most colleges have some sort of research projects going on. People tend to build tech heavy industry around large universities anyhow.

You'll still have to work your *** off to get that job and it won't pay much. Welcome to the real world...

Related to What are some universities that have affiliation to national labs/Indu

1. What are some universities that have affiliation to national labs?

There are several universities that have affiliations with national labs, including MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Caltech, and University of Michigan. These universities have strong research partnerships with organizations like Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Argonne National Laboratory, and Los Alamos National Laboratory.

2. How do universities form partnerships with national labs?

Universities and national labs often form partnerships through funding opportunities, collaborative research projects, and joint appointments for faculty and scientists. These partnerships allow for the exchange of knowledge, resources, and expertise in various scientific fields.

3. What are the benefits of universities having affiliations with national labs?

The benefits of university and national lab partnerships include access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, opportunities for funding and grants, and the ability to work with leading experts in the field. These partnerships also provide students with hands-on research experiences and help bridge the gap between academia and industry.

4. Are there any specific fields of study that universities and national labs collaborate on?

Yes, there are many fields of study that universities and national labs collaborate on, including physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, and computer science. These partnerships often focus on areas of national interest such as energy, national security, and healthcare.

5. How can students get involved in university and national lab partnerships?

Students can get involved in university and national lab partnerships by participating in internships, research projects, and joint degree programs. Many universities also offer opportunities for students to visit and work at national labs through summer programs and research fellowships.