What are the accelerations of A on an incline with different scenarios?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Matt12345
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Body A weighs 110 N, and body B weighs 37 N. The coefficients of friction between A and the incline are μs = 0.56 and μk = 0.25. Angle θ is 40°. Let the positive direction of an x-axis be up the incline.

06_38.gif


(a). Find the acceleration of A if A is initially at rest.
(... m/s^2) i

(b). Find the acceleration of A if A is moving up the incline.
(...m/s^2) i

(c). Find the acceleration of A if A is moving down the incline.
(...m/s^2) i


Homework Equations


F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


So I am not really sure how to solve this problem at all. I have tried a few ways, none have come up with reasonable or correct answers.

I tried using...

FT = mA * g * sin(theta) - fk

where fk = mewk * FN
and setting FN = g * a

I then solved for a and came out with 134 but that was wrong and didn't make sense.

I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help me out? That would be awsome.
 
Attachments
  • 06_38.gif
    06_38.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
So I got part (a). which is 0. I don't know why I didn't try that before. I feel stupid. But parts (b). and (c). I am still not sure about.
 
Matt12345 said:
So I got part (a). which is 0. I don't know why I didn't try that before. I feel stupid. But parts (b). and (c). I am still not sure about.
This problem makes no sense. Either the block A is at rest, or it moves up the plane, or moves down the plane. It can't do all three!