What are the Best Sci-Fi Movies About Interstellar Travel?

In summary, the movie Interstellar is disappointing, while farscape and startrek voyager are better at explaining scientific concepts.
Mad scientist
After doing my own research I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good Sci-Fi movies on mankind's first interstellar voyage, besides the movie 'Interstellar', which I have seen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember enjoying Contact with Jodie Foster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_(1997_US_film)
I found it a bit disappointing. I was thinking more along the lines of starship travel, like Event Horizon but with less horror..

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I found the movie Interstellar to be unwatchable. A worm hole is two black holes, one at either end, that are connected. Black holes have a mass that exceeds 3 solar masses. If you placed a 3+ solar mass object right next to the planet Saturn (as in the movie) you would disrupt the entire solar system. Yet they completely ignore the gravitational effects of the worm hole in the movie.

The problem with depicting realistic interstellar travel in movies is that it takes years. Most movies that I've seen either skip or compress interstellar travel. Such as the movie Avatar. They show the main character waking up after an unknown amount of time traveling to this exo-moon, but they do not show the actual travel or even describe how interstellar travel was made possible. Another device used by movies for interstellar travel is warp drive. While warp drive is mathematically possible, the amount of energy required is literally astronomical. Considering the amount of energy required to create a warp "bubble," that mode of transportation would not fall into the category of "realistic" interstellar travel.

Assuming we had a spacecraft engine that could produce 1 g (9.8 m/s2) of continuous thrust, it would take 3 years, 6 months, 15 days, 11 hours, and 36 minutes from the perspective of those on board the spacecraft to reach the nearest star Proxima Centauri 4.24 light years away. With 1 g constant acceleration to the halfway point, and 1 g constant deceleration afterwards, the spacecraft would achieve 94.95% the speed of light at the halfway point before slowing down. From Earth's perspective, the same trip to Proxima Centauri would take 5 years, 10 months, 13 days, 8 hours, and 11 minutes.

While the method of interstellar travel described above is "realistic," it falls seriously short in one category - fuel. Even if the engines were 100% efficient, we could not bring along enough fuel to make the journey at that speed. Even using antimatter as a fuel source. So some method for collecting or manufacturing fuel along the way must be devised in order to be "realistic."

The three most realistic methods for interstellar travel that I have read about is:
  • A hydrogen fusion ramjet engine. By the time the spacecraft left the solar system it would be traveling at such a speed that even the extremely rarefied hydrogen in interstellar space would be a viable source of fuel.
  • A Casimir drive. A drive that uses the Casimir Effect to generate thrust, and therefore would not require any fuel.
  • An electromagnetic drive. The EmDrive uses microwaves as a means of thrust. Such a drive could be nuclear powered, and therefore provide long periods of continuous thrust.

Last edited:
I think farscape and startrek voyager are much better in trying to explain scientific concepts

1. What is interstellar travel and how is it depicted in movies?

Interstellar travel is the concept of traveling between stars or planetary systems. In movies, it is often depicted as faster-than-light travel or through the use of advanced technology such as wormholes or warp drives.

2. Are there any real scientific principles behind interstellar travel shown in movies?

While some aspects of interstellar travel, such as the concept of wormholes, are based on real scientific theories, the actual methods of interstellar travel shown in movies are mostly fictional and not currently possible with our current technology.

3. What are some popular movies about interstellar travel?

Some popular movies about interstellar travel include Interstellar, Star Wars, Star Trek, and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

4. How accurate are the depictions of interstellar travel in movies?

The accuracy of the depictions of interstellar travel in movies can vary. While some movies may strive for scientific accuracy, others prioritize storytelling and may take creative liberties. It is important to remember that movies are primarily for entertainment and not always scientifically accurate.

5. Is interstellar travel possible in real life?

Currently, interstellar travel is not possible with our current technology. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that could potentially make interstellar travel a reality in the future.