Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the chemical reaction happen indise lamp in tungsten

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    Also the chemical involve in the W and iodine. Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF.
    Your question is unclear.
    Do you mean an incandescent lamp with a tungsten filament?
    There are no chemical reactions to make the filament glow - the metal heats up until it glows. Reactions with air will reduce the lifetime of the bulb so we want to avoid them.

Don't know what you mean by "in the W and iodine".

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

I suppose he refers to halogen lamps. There some halogen like iodine is added to the gas surrounding the filament. It reacts with the tungsten at the cooler quartz surface (which still has some hundred degrees centigrade) to form tungsten iodide which vaporizes and diffuses back to the filament where it decomposes again into tungsten and elementary iodide. This helps to prolong the livetime of the lamp and use them at higher filament temperatures.

PS: Maybe more adequate to be discussed in the chemistry forum

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4
    sorry for unclear question, I want to know what happen in the incandescent lamp which add 0.1 mg of iodine. Thx for DrDu, I can picture something.

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

You may also look for: Van Arkel - de Boer method

7. Feb 13, 2012 #6
    thank!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook