1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the conclusions you can make from this graph?

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all I have this simple graph that is about how the length of a wire affects it's resistance. I usually get homework questions asking me, what conclusion can you make from you investigation (using the graph) and explain why you made this conclusion. The only problem is that I find it difficult to put things into words.

Here is one of the graphs (sorry I don't have a scanner)
    DSC_0134.jpg

If you could just give me some simple answers to these questions that will help to be able to explains in my own in the future, kind of like a template that would be great
    2. Relevant equations
    1.What conclusion can you make about a link between the length of a wire and it's resistance?

2.Use the graph to explain why you made this conclusion?

If you could just make two simple points to each question that would be great.

many thanks,
    nate. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2
    First of all....extend the line so that it meets the axes.
    If a straight line passes through (0,0) then you can say that y is directly proportional to x
    If the line does not pass through (0,0) then the right thing to say is that y increases uniformely with x, or equal increases in x result in equal increases in y
    Find the gradient of the graph.... what will that tell you?
    Should your graph pass through (0,0)? If it should, and it does not, can you explain it.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook