What Are the Correct Units for Density in the Equation P = Patm + ϱgh?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
jumbogala
Messages
414
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


I'm dealing with densities of liquids.

When using the formula P = Patm + ϱgh, where ϱ is the density of the liquid, what should the units of ϱ be?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have P in kPa, so just looking at the units gives:
kPa = kPa + (?)(m/s2)(m) --> kPa = (?)(m2/s2)

Which would mean the units of ϱ are (kPa)(s2 / m2).

Somehow that seems wrong... I thought ϱ was supposed to have units of mass per volume?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1 Pa = 1 N m-2
1 kPa = 1000 Pa
1 atm = 101.325 kPa

1 N=1kg m s-2

So 1 atm = 101325kg m-1s-2 in the basic Si units.

ehild