What are the current frontier areas of research in physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
stone
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
hi,
I am an undergrad and intend to pursue higher studies in physics. I wanted to know what are the current frontier areas of research in physics, those that will be alive for atleast 10-20 yrs fromm now on??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is always important research to be done in solid state physics, and there are plenty of people willing to fund research in solid state physics because it has enormous practical applications. It will probably remain the most popular field of physics for the foreseeable future.
 
stone said:
hi,
I am an undergrad and intend to pursue higher studies in physics. I wanted to know what are the current frontier areas of research in physics, those that will be alive for atleast 10-20 yrs fromm now on??

You might want to look at a journal such as Phys. Rev. Lett. to get an idea. It is wider and larger than what most people think.

I'm not a psychic. I can't tell you what's going to be alive 10-20 years from now.

Zz.
 
You may also want to read journals like Physics Today, since they tend to publish more "overview" style articles.

We can all make predictions, but the truth of the matter is that no one knows. The hot areas even five years from now may not even exist yet.