1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the current frontier areas of research in physics

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    hi,
    I am an undergrad and intend to pursue higher studies in physics. I wanted to know what are the current frontier areas of research in physics, those that will be alive for atleast 10-20 yrs fromm now on??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    There is always important research to be done in solid state physics, and there are plenty of people willing to fund research in solid state physics because it has enormous practical applications. It will probably remain the most popular field of physics for the foreseeable future.

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You might want to look at a journal such as Phys. Rev. Lett. to get an idea. It is wider and larger than what most people think.

I'm not a psychic. I can't tell you what's going to be alive 10-20 years from now.

Zz.

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You may also want to read journals like Physics Today, since they tend to publish more "overview" style articles.

We can all make predictions, but the truth of the matter is that no one knows. The hot areas even five years from now may not even exist yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook