What Are the Dimensions of A, B, and D in the Rocket Velocity Equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
BioCore

Homework Statement



Consider a Rocket in space, far removed from external gravitational influences, and suppose the engine starts up. As long as the engines are running, its instantaneous velocity v is a function of its mass. V is given by:

V = A + B log(D/m)

A, B, D are physical quantities, find the dimensions of A, B and D.

Homework Equations



V = A + B log(D/m)

The Attempt at a Solution



From here I will refer to dimensions as such: [], ex. [V] dimensions of velocity.

[V] = L/T
thus [A] = L/T

I need to still find the and [D]. I am not entirely sure here of how to approach. But would the dimensions of log be nothing, in other words [D] = M or mass.

and thus = L/T as well. Or it this a stupid assumption to make?

Thank you for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org