What are the dimensions of the pointing vector in physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhDorBust
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dimensions Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
PhDorBust
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
Sorry for the trivial question. But I'm not a physics student by training and I think I running into problems due to interchanging metrical systems.

[tex]S = E \times H[/tex]

[tex] E \equiv \frac{N}{C}[/tex]

[tex] H \equiv \frac{N}{A \cdot m}<br /> <br /> [/tex]

Also, is there any standard operator for denoted dimensions of a quantity? The answer should be power per unit area - I get some extra charge dimensions among other things. Cross product should behave dimensionally as normal multiplication.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PhDorBust said:
[tex] H \equiv \frac{N}{A \cdot m}<br /> <br /> [/tex]

The dimension of H is current/length so the unit is A/m.

ehild