What Are the General Institute Requirements for an MIT Physics Degree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
wuwi9989
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone. I'm very interested in learning physics. I did physics for two years in High School but dropped it on the last year. Currently I am doing a International Business Degree in NZ. I'm posting here because I have questions about how to form a physics degree at MIT. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to do the MIT challenge in 2 years. The idea behind this is in this video

Here is the degree chart - http://web.mit.edu/catalog/degre.scien.ch8.html

My problem is that I've only jotted down 16 papers. What are GIR? Can someone post here a typical physics degree at MIT?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
GIR = General Institute Requirements

The page that you linked to has a search box. If you type "GIR" in it, the very first link that comes up explains them in detail.
 
It should be noted for those not familiar with higher education in the US, that MIT's GIR system is far from unique. US universities in general (at least I can't think of any exceptions) all require their bachelor's degree students to take a certain number of courses outside their "major field." These are more commonly called "General Education Requirements." The details vary between different universities.