1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs How can I get into MIT Physics Phd program?

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    Hey!

I'm a freshman at Grove City college, (small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania) and am majoring in physics. What should I do to eventually get into the MIT (or other really good school's) Phd physics program. I'm willing to work really hard for it (I suppose you have to) and will do extra research, internships, extra classes etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might talk to Jeff Wolinksi, he graduated from Harvard.

Additionally, and I'm being serious here, I would transfer. First, GCC has a history of hiring faculty not based on academic excellence but based on their religious beliefs. This may extend to the curriculum - GCC's catalog is the only one I have every seen where the word "evolution" appears more often outside the biology department's section than inside.

Second, because they forbid their faculty from receiving federal funding, their on-campus research is nothing like you would find elsewhere.

Third, because they forbid their students from receiving federal funds, that prevents your participation in programs like REU.

Getting into a top graduate program is competitive. Your college's policies make it very difficult for you to compete.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Beyond that, transfer to a research one university, where you can get involved in research projects. The best way to get into a PhD program is if a professor in the field writes to his buddy at another school and says: "You know, my student Joe is fantastic at X, worked very diligently in my research lab, and well exceeded expectations." You won't have that opportunity at a non research institution.

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure that's the best way. Strong letters help, and strong letters from bigshots help more, but it's only part of the many factors that go into the admissions process.

That said, if someone wants a research degree like a PhD, one should look for an undergraduate school that emphasizes it. At a minimum, one should avoid a school with policies detrimental to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook