Can I get involved in an MIT Physics community?

In summary, the individual graduated from UMass Amherst with a degree in computer engineering and has a passion for physics and math, specifically theoretical physics. They are looking into MIT and have found the Center for Theoretical Physics, but are unsure if it is open to the public. They are also interested in joining in-person professional physics communities in eastern Massachusetts. Suggestions were made to contact the CTP and to attend seminars and colloquiums at universities in the area. The individual also mentioned finding math study groups on meetup.com and is seeking a community of like-minded individuals to further their studies.
Kevinkevinkevin
I graduated from UMass Amherst with a computer engineering degree, and, like I say in my bio, I've always been passionate about physics and math, but especially theoretical physics. I live near Cambridge, which is why I'm looking into MIT. I browsed the school's website, and I found the "Center for Theoretical Physics" and many different types of seminars that they have. However, it seems like it's reserved for faculty and post-grads... Am I wrong? Does anyone here know more? Otherwise, are there any in-person professional physics communities I can join in eastern Massachusetts? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevinkevinkevin said:
I graduated from UMass Amherst with a computer engineering degree, and, like I say in my bio, I've always been passionate about physics and math, but especially theoretical physics. I live near Cambridge, which is why I'm looking into MIT. I browsed the school's website, and I found the "Center for Theoretical Physics" and many different types of seminars that they have. However, it seems like it's reserved for faculty and post-grads... Am I wrong? Does anyone here know more? Otherwise, are there any in-person professional physics communities I can join in eastern Massachusetts? Thank you.
One could contact the CTP and ask about public access.

http://ctpweb.lns.mit.edu/seminars.html (Note - Other Seminars at MIT and in the Boston area)
http://ctp.lns.mit.edu/contact.html - It would be appropriate to contact and ask the CTP if one is able to attend a lecture.

As for interacting with other physicists, there is APS and AIP.

It's good to ask...
but in my experience, wherever there is a physics seminar or colloquium that is announced, it has been open to the public.
When I started college in New York City, I would freely drop into a physics seminar given at universities throughout the city.
Although such seminars might be directed to faculty, students, and postdocs [as opposed to the general public], they have still been open to the general public.

[Welcome: I used to live in Amherst.]

Thank you for the information, Astronuc. I will see about contacting the CTP. Thank you for relating your experience, robphy, and thank you for the welcome. I like Amherst a lot. I've also found some math study groups in Cambridge on meetup.com that would help give me a good foundation for the physics I want to study, some of which actually meet at MIT. So, I'll be looking into some of these as well... While I like dabbling in topics I'm interested in on my own, having people around who care about the same things I do would help me immensely.

1. Can I get involved in an MIT Physics community as a non-student?

Yes, there are opportunities for non-students to get involved in MIT Physics communities. You can participate in seminars, workshops, and conferences organized by the Department of Physics or join clubs and organizations related to physics.

2. How can I join a research group in the MIT Physics department?

To join a research group, you can reach out to individual professors or research groups to inquire about available positions. You can also check the department's website for open positions or attend departmental events to network with faculty and researchers.

3. Are there any volunteer opportunities in the MIT Physics department?

Yes, there are volunteer opportunities in the MIT Physics department. You can volunteer to help with departmental events, assist with research projects, or mentor undergraduate students.

4. Can I participate in experiments or studies conducted by the MIT Physics department?

Yes, there may be opportunities for non-students to participate in experiments or studies conducted by the MIT Physics department. You can reach out to individual professors or research groups to inquire about available positions.

5. Is there a physics club for students at MIT?

Yes, there are several physics clubs for students at MIT, such as the MIT Society of Physics Students and the MIT Undergraduate Physics Association. These clubs offer a variety of activities, including guest lectures, social events, and outreach programs.