What are the Laplace transforms of powers of y?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
space-time
Messages
218
Reaction score
4
Let's say you have a function y(t). You know how derivatives of y have their own Laplace transforms? Well I was wondering if powers of y such as y^2 or y^3 have their own unique Laplace transforms as well. If so , how do you calculate them (because plugging them into the usual integral doesn't seem to work)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: makemoneyu
Physics news on Phys.org
Ssnow said:
On https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform, there is a table with properties of Laplace transform, one refer to the Laplace transform of ##f(t)^{n}## ...

Are you sure? I don't see such a formula. Unless you are mistaking the one for ##f^{(n)}(t)## which is the n'th derivative. I have never seen a formula for ##\mathcal L f(t)^n## and I don't think there is a general one.
 
Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Are you sure?

Yes sorry I confuse the notation, I fact there isn't and explicit formula for this ...
 
On that same wikipedia page, there seems to be a way to do that if we consider the Laplace transform of the multiplication of functions; we just take the function [itex]f(t)[/itex] and multiply it [itex]n[/itex] times.
 
Laplace transform is an efficient tool when linear operations are involves (sum, derivative, integral).
But it is not so, and generaly very complicated, when non-linear operations are involved (multiplication, division, power). Even in the simplest cases convolution is requiered, which is generaly arduous.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: makemoneyu