1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the main weed out classes in engineering?

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    In your experience, what were the most difficult intro courses in engineering with the highest failure rates? calculus, physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2
    At my alma matter it was thermodynamics for the ME's and integrated circuits for the EE's.

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    It varies. At my school, for all engineers, it's physics I and calc II.

5. Jun 8, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

At my school it's multi variable calculus (60% pass rate last year) & thermodynamics (70% pass rate last I heard)

6. Jun 8, 2015 #5
    Physics 2 and Calc 2 freshman year have a high fail rate here

I think the classes only get harder but a lot of people freshman year change majors when they realize it's not for them.

7. Jun 9, 2015 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Here, the main 'weed-out' engineering class is 'Statics', which is also the first real engineering class they take. Prior to that, the primary obstacles are Calc I and II and Physics I and II.

8. Jun 9, 2015 #7
    "Weed out" course? <cringe> o_O <urk!>

We have all experienced the negative aspects of how things are taught versus one's learning style. Or the quality of some instructors. But there are plenty of students who attempt to take <select course from list above> who are insufficiently prepared and/or motivated to achieve. Or to work harder and overcome their deficiencies. The subject matter is tough for a reason. Not everyone has what it takes.

9. Jun 9, 2015 #8
    I agree with this. Funny how all of the weed out courses are early in the curriculum.

It is probably more likely that they're easier, but filled with more people who aren't willing to put in the effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook