What Are the Maximum and Minimum Speeds of π Mesons from a Moving K_0 Decay?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
TFM
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A [tex]k^0[/tex] meson at rest decays into a [tex]\pi^+[/tex] meson and a [tex]\pi^-[/tex] meson, each having a speed 0f 0.85c. If the [tex]k^0[/tex] Meson is traveling at 0.9c decays, what is the :

(i) The greatest speed that one of the [tex]\pi[/tex] mesons can have

(i) What is the least speed?

Homework Equations



[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]v= v_0 \gamma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not quite sure what to do. If it was just find a speed, I would use the Lorentz Equation for speed diffference given above (I think this is the relevant equation). but since they want a max. and a min. speed, I am not quite sure.

Any ideas would be most appreciated,

TFM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey TFM,

Take a look at my post, 'Special relativity velocity tansforms', I misspelt transforms in the post name. Ooops, :redface:.

Vuldoraq