What are the most energetic lightning "superbolts" ever measured?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
xpell
Messages
139
Reaction score
16
TL;DR
Highest known energy of lightning on Earth, directly measured or estimated by other means like e.g. satellite observation.
Hi! I would be interested in properly referenced data about the most powerful / energetic lightning bolts on Earth to get a good idea about their maximum possible order of magnitude (maybe depending on location?) Both direct measurements or indirect but well-founded estimates (e.g. satellite observations) are OK. Can you help me, please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you searched for papers about superbolts ?

For a single strike event the specification should be the total energy discharge in joules.
It seems many reporters wrongly refer to power in watts, but not the discharge time.
https://lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2020/November/1112-superbolt.php
... “One lightning stroke even exceeded 3 terawatts of power—thousands of times stronger than ordinary lightning detected from space,” ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Have you searched for papers about superbolts ?
Yes I have, and I didn't find anything useful. That's why I came to ask.
Baluncore said:
For a single strike event the specification should be the total energy discharge in joules.
Indeed.
Baluncore said:
It seems many reporters wrongly refer to power in watts, but not the discharge time.
https://lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2020/November/1112-superbolt.php
... “One lightning stroke even exceeded 3 terawatts of power—thousands of times stronger than ordinary lightning detected from space,” ...
Yep, that's the kind of info I found ---useless without the discharge time. Also in volts, in amps... but never in joules or anything that let me calculate the joules. :frown:
 
xpell said:
Yes I have, and I didn't find anything useful. That's why I came to ask.

Indeed.

Yep, that's the kind of info I found ---useless without the discharge time. Also in volts, in amps... but never in joules or anything that let me calculate the joules. :frown:
I notice that the EU standard for lightning protection, EN-62305 page 35, quotes a figure of 10 MJ/Ohm for the energy delivered in 10% worst case flashes.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: xpell and berkeman