What are the most energetic lightning "superbolts" ever measured?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for properly referenced data on the most powerful and energetic lightning bolts on Earth, with a focus on their total energy discharge in joules. The speaker mentions searching for papers on "superbolts" but finding nothing useful, and also notes the confusion surrounding the reporting of power in watts rather than discharge time. They also provide a link to an article about a lightning strike that exceeded 3 terawatts of power. The conversation ends with a reference to the EU standard for lightning protection, which quotes a figure of 10 MJ/Ohm for the energy delivered in 10% worst case flashes.
xpell
TL;DR Summary
Highest known energy of lightning on Earth, directly measured or estimated by other means like e.g. satellite observation.
Hi! I would be interested in properly referenced data about the most powerful / energetic lightning bolts on Earth to get a good idea about their maximum possible order of magnitude (maybe depending on location?) Both direct measurements or indirect but well-founded estimates (e.g. satellite observations) are OK. Can you help me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you searched for papers about superbolts ?

For a single strike event the specification should be the total energy discharge in joules.
It seems many reporters wrongly refer to power in watts, but not the discharge time.
https://lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2020/November/1112-superbolt.php
... “One lightning stroke even exceeded 3 terawatts of power—thousands of times stronger than ordinary lightning detected from space,” ...

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Have you searched for papers about superbolts ?
Yes I have, and I didn't find anything useful. That's why I came to ask.
Baluncore said:
For a single strike event the specification should be the total energy discharge in joules.
Indeed.
Baluncore said:
It seems many reporters wrongly refer to power in watts, but not the discharge time.
https://lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2020/November/1112-superbolt.php
... “One lightning stroke even exceeded 3 terawatts of power—thousands of times stronger than ordinary lightning detected from space,” ...
Yep, that's the kind of info I found ---useless without the discharge time. Also in volts, in amps... but never in joules or anything that let me calculate the joules. :frown:

xpell said:
Yes I have, and I didn't find anything useful. That's why I came to ask.

Indeed.

Yep, that's the kind of info I found ---useless without the discharge time. Also in volts, in amps... but never in joules or anything that let me calculate the joules. :frown:
I notice that the EU standard for lightning protection, EN-62305 page 35, quotes a figure of 10 MJ/Ohm for the energy delivered in 10% worst case flashes.

• Informative
Likes xpell and berkeman

1. What exactly are "superbolts" and how are they different from regular lightning bolts?

"Superbolts" are a type of lightning bolt that are significantly more powerful and energetic than regular lightning bolts. They are characterized by having a peak power of over 1 gigawatt, which is much higher than the average lightning bolt. Superbolts also tend to have longer durations and travel longer distances than regular lightning bolts.

2. How are "superbolts" measured and what units are used to quantify their energy?

Superbolts are measured using specialized instruments called lightning mapping arrays, which can detect and record the electrical signals of lightning strikes. The energy of a superbolt is typically quantified in terms of peak power (in gigawatts) and energy (in joules).

3. Where are the most frequent occurrences of "superbolts" and why?

The most frequent occurrences of superbolts are in regions with high thunderstorm activity, such as the central United States and parts of Africa and South America. This is because superbolts tend to occur in areas with strong convection currents, which are necessary for the development of thunderstorms.

4. Are "superbolts" dangerous and can they cause more damage than regular lightning bolts?

Superbolts can be dangerous, as they have significantly higher energy than regular lightning bolts. However, their occurrence is relatively rare and they tend to occur in remote areas, reducing the likelihood of causing damage or harm to humans. Additionally, the higher energy of superbolts does not necessarily equate to more damage, as the effects of lightning strikes depend on a variety of factors such as location and type of object struck.

5. How do scientists study and track "superbolts" and what can we learn from them?

Scientists study and track superbolts using a variety of methods, including lightning mapping arrays, satellite imagery, and ground-based instruments. By analyzing data from superbolts, scientists can gain a better understanding of the physics behind lightning and thunderstorms, as well as the potential impacts of extreme weather events on our planet.