What Are the Odds of Winning or Drawing in Paper Rock Scissors?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter dandare30
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Paper Rock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
dandare30
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Firstly I apologise for the most basic of questions...

I want to know the odds for the game Paper Rock Scissors.

What are the odds of winning

What are the odds of drawing

Thanks in advance :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dandare30 said:
Firstly I apologise for the most basic of questions...

I want to know the odds for the game Paper Rock Scissors.

What are the odds of winning

What are the odds of drawing

Thanks in advance :)

Hi dandare30, welcome to MHB! ;)

The probability to win in a single round is $\frac 13$.
The odds of winning in a single round are $1:2$. That is 1 possibility to win versus 2 equally likely possibilities to not-win.
It's the same for drawing.

If we keep going after a draw until someone wins, then the probability to win becomes $\frac 12$, and the odds to win becomes $1:1$.
The probability for drawing becomes $0$, and the odds for drawing becomes $0:1$.