What are the physical implications of phonon softening?

In summary, phonon softening refers to a reduction in energy of a phonon branch in a crystal, which can lead to a displacive phase transition and changes in the crystal's properties. This is often seen in materials such as BaTiO3. In the case of a reduction in energy but not complete softening, it can result in a redshift in Raman bands, as seen in graphene.
fisher468
I am interested in how phonon softening would lead to changes in a crystals elastic properties but I don't understand what actually is the consequence of this. What would be affected by a reduction in energy to phonons in a crystal?

My best guess would be a reduction in energy to phonons causes more phonon scattering events be it electron-phonon or phonon-phonon because they are easier to excite. This would affect things like carrier mobility and thermal conductivity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phonon softening means that the energy of one of phonon branches ##\omega(k)## becomes zero at some point k0 of Brillouin zone. Phonon is a dynamical object related to the atomic vibrations. When its frequency goes to zero the vibrations become static, resulting in general in new crystal structure. This is called displacive phase transition. If k0 is not zero the new crystal structure must be described by symmetry with new bigger unit cell. After this kind of structure transition the properties of crystal might drastically change. Well known example is BaTiO3.

Thanks for your reply, my understanding is that what you have described is when a phonon mode has completely softened i.e. the energy of the phonon equals zero. However my question is when a phonon mode has reduced in energy but is not gone to zero.

If it makes it easier my specific case is seeing a redshift in raman bands of graphene which I have attributed to phonon softening (reduction in energy not fully to zero).

What is a phonon?

A phonon is a quasiparticle that represents a collective excitation of atoms in a crystal lattice. It can be thought of as a quantized vibrational mode of the lattice.

What is phonon softening?

Phonon softening is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a phonon decreases as a function of temperature or pressure. This can happen due to changes in the interatomic forces within the lattice.

What are the physical implications of phonon softening?

Phonon softening can have various physical implications, such as changes in thermal conductivity, specific heat, and the speed of sound in a material. It can also affect the structural stability and phase transitions of a material.

How is phonon softening measured?

Phonon softening can be measured using techniques such as inelastic neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and Brillouin scattering. These methods allow for the detection and characterization of changes in phonon frequencies.

Can phonon softening be controlled?

In some cases, phonon softening can be controlled by manipulating the material's composition, structure, or external conditions. This can lead to new opportunities in materials design and engineering for specific applications.